A Bonsai Beginners Dream Come True

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
2D593BFB-21BA-49E9-975D-572F93B8BD39.jpeg
i think bonsai is definitely about the artistic expression, but ultimately we do want characteristics of natural trees, because nobody does it better than Mother Nature. I for one appreciate the artists that are creating an American style and thinking outside the “traditional” box of what bonsai must be.

this wouldn’t be the first time humans have wanted to control the natural world around us. It’s engrained in our dna seemingly. I think the true self-expression of bonsai for many people is making any tree be whatever you want it to be and taking from it the satisfaction that you desire. Yes, there are traditional rules that bonsai follows, but there’s a much broader side to it I believe that appeals to people outside of the competition arena. I for one, know I didn’t get into bonsai to “show” or compete, but also realize that one day that may change.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Congratulations on getting out there and volunteering!

We’ve been volunteering at PAC Bonsai Museum for three years now. It’s a wonderful experience and we’ve learned a lot from the Curator and staff while working on so many world caliber trees. I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time!

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I find it curious but understandable that extremely nice bonsai look so little like a tree in the wild.
Art takes some liberties in its expression.
This has always been an interesting discussion- do Bonsai not imitate trees? Or do the good ones we see (normally from Japan, or from people trained in Japan/influenced by Japanese Bonsai) just not look like trees from your area? In Japan many of the trees look much more like larger versions of the exaggerated bonsai styles we use here. Trees clinging to cliff sides, trees with different growth habits than indigenous trees here… This same notion of “that doesn’t look like the trees I know” has created a whole faction of enthusiasts I know who try to emulate what we see in nature locally instead of the “style” we see in Japanese trees.

Is that the proper adaptation of bonsai? Or should we be following the “rules” that Japanese masters like Naka put into writing? If the trees aren’t styled as we think of conforming to the “styles” we are familiar with as Bonsai… Is it still Bonsai or something else?

It is a complex discussion point to be sure..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has always been an interesting discussion- do Bonsai not imitate trees? Or do the good ones we see (normally from Japan, or from people trained in Japan/influenced by Japanese Bonsai) just not look like trees from your area? In Japan many of the trees look much more like larger versions of the exaggerated bonsai styles we use here. Trees clinging to cliff sides, trees with different growth habits than indigenous trees here… This same notion of “that doesn’t look like the trees I know” has created a whole faction of enthusiasts I know who try to emulate what we see in nature locally instead of the “style” we see in Japanese trees.

Is that the proper adaptation of bonsai? Or should we be following the “rules” that Japanese masters like Naka put into writing? If the trees aren’t styled as we think of conforming to the “styles” we are familiar with as Bonsai… Is it still Bonsai or something else?

It is a complex discussion point to be sure..
Yeah, the 'merican bonsai' movement. That has Been around for quite a while. I used to be a wholehearted believer in it back in the 90's...Didn't go much of anywhere because a good bonsai is a good bonsai. Trees are not products of culture or country. They are products of environment. Japanese junipers with deadwood are reminders of alpine environments, same as a Utah juniper here in the States. High alpine trees don't grow here on the east coast except in limited locations. I also know that pretty much the only 'merican' species with a particularly distinct style is the bald cypress and even then, there are species in other parts of the swampy world that approach it's image. There are not really "Japanese" trees. There are trees that appear to manicured for some people's taste. I know Bjorn is a big fan of extremely manicured trees. It is that manicured look that is the turn off, not necessarily the style. Same goes for UNDERmanicured, undisciplined trees (Which are in abundance in the U.S. sometimes passing as "natural bonsai.")

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah, the 'merican bonsai' movement. That has Been around for quite a while. I used to be a wholehearted believer in it back in the 90's...Didn't go much of anywhere because a good bonsai is a good bonsai. Trees are not products of culture or country. They are products of environment. Japanese junipers with deadwood are reminders of alpine environments, same as a Utah juniper here in the States. High alpine trees don't grow here on the east coast except in limited locations. I also know that pretty much the only 'merican' species with a particularly distinct style is the bald cypress and even then, there are species in other parts of the swampy world that approach it's image. There are not really "Japanese" trees. There are trees that appear to manicured for some people's taste. I know Bjorn is a big fan of extremely manicured trees. It is that manicured look that is the turn off, not necessarily the style. Same goes for UNDERmanicured, undisciplined trees (Which are in abundance in the U.S. sometimes passing as "natural bonsai.")
Yep- 100% agree. A tree can be “too perfect” IMO. Overly manicured, over styled… It doesn’t mean I strive for a “wild” look in all my trees.. But WHO HAS TIME FOR ALL THAT!?! Once you get past a point of development and WORK, Bonsai can lose any sense of fun or relaxation… I have gotten too deep a few times and had to kind of pull back and reset. This is a hobby (OBSESSION) and should not become “work”. (Slightly OT though similar train of thought)- That was really why I stopped selling trees online a few years ago- it became a second job and I was neglecting other more important things in my life. I can look at a tree that hasn’t even been pruned and appreciate the health, the history, the majesty of the tree whether perfectly manicured or not and that has allowed me to enjoy the hobby more.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My pleasure in bonsai is the tending of trees that are past all the WORK. Even that is work.
I no longer care to start new trees. :)

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Congratulations on the opportunity, you will find that being able to work , learn and gain experience on how to care for those trees will end up exponentially improving your skill sets and creative approaches , and will be a catalyst for how much faster you’ll be able to translate that into your own collected
Thanks!! I’m more than excited to be a part of this. Even though I’m volunteering my time, I really feel like I’m gaining way more than I’m going to give.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Agreed , even in the states there are American Bonsai professionals that use more naturalistic style for natives and those who apply a more manicured style on native trees. But , BUT! Even those who apply their own style on natives trees still use a school of thought or “DNA” that originated from a Japanese bonsai master or stable , even Japanese Americans who were big in the advent of bonsai in USA carry that lineage of Japanese origination. Heck any manipulation in bonsai or technique is traced back to Japan or China , so there IMO always has to be respects paid to that fact no matter what the style is.

Top Bottom