A bunch of questions from a beginner

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
i can appreciate that completely. I think I made do for so long with our roses and orchids and when we started buying better quality materials...Not just tools, but all aspects of care...From dirt, orchid medium, fertilizers, pots and so on it became more enjoyable and our plants appreciated it. I'm the same way in my kitchen. I could bake a fancy French dish in a ratty pan with old beat up tools that don't fit my hands but it's a tremendous pleasure to use products I genuinely enjoy using. I spend hours cooking (my husband burns a lot of calories and can eat like a horse) and I genuinely enjoy my kitchen tools. If I didn't enjoy using them I'd buy cheap stuff. Any time I buy a tool I hold it in my hand to see if 'it fits. If it's too big, too heavy or whatever I don't really want to use it and either don't buy it or return it if it's from Amazon. I just don't like cheaply made things. I enjoy something well made. I'd rather have fewer things that are quality than lots of things that are poorly made but I do understand your point.
I agree with you, but when I say specialized scissors, I'm not talking harbor freight or dollar store things lol. My cutting pliers/snips/scissors are either Snap-On, Ampco, or Klein. Some of them even look exactly like Bonsai tools and functionally are the same. Since I switched careers to Cyber Security, most of my expensive electrician tools have been collecting dust for almost a decade, so I might as well use them. I wasn't saying don't buy pliers. I just mean don't let your tools become a scape goat for issues in your hobby/art. I know a lot of people that refuse to try something because they don't have the exact tool or art medium that a person in a Youtube video was using when it's not necessarily a requirement to get started and start the learning process.

Plus don't be afraid to experiment with tools that are unorthodox. Or create your own. The most useful tool in a person's toolbox is the one they either made or modified themselves to solve an issue in their craft.

An example of one of my specialized cutters in my toolbox, lol. I bought it used from another electrician in 2012, and the MSRP was slightly cheaper back then. But yeah, functionally similar to some Bonsai tools.
1629325306017.png

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm growing the Chinese Elm in potting soil to fatten the trunk. Why does everyone dislike the trees with an S curve? As a beginner I was attracted to it although I'd like to join the 'cost of chips' contest and would like a straight trunk for that. I just wonder why people dislike the S shape? On all trees?
I feel the dislike of the S-shaped trunk is because it seems generic to many people. It's a standard form often found in your cheap mallsai and the like, so it comes off to some experienced bonsai artists as under thought amateur's work, and somewhat generic.

Of course, it's your tree, and for your enjoyment, so do what you want with it. I like trees that give the impression that they've been knocked over and then kept on growing anyway, so I tend to go with sharp curves near the bottom of the trunk. Some people dislike that. I find most formal upright designs rather boring, personally, but then there's a few I've seen done so exquisitely that I could study it for hours. I find raft styles equally as fascinating as repulsive. It's a matter of personal taste. If you appreciate the S-curve, then you make it your specialty if you want, and do it up proper.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I feel the dislike of the S-shaped trunk is because it seems generic to many people. It's a standard form often found in your cheap mallsai and the like, so it comes off to some experienced bonsai artists as under thought amateur's work, and somewhat generic.

Of course, it's your tree, and for your enjoyment, so do what you want with it. I like trees that give the impression that they've been knocked over and then kept on growing anyway, so I tend to go with sharp curves near the bottom of the trunk. Some people dislike that. I find most formal upright designs rather boring, personally, but then there's a few I've seen done so exquisitely that I could study it for hours. I find raft styles equally as fascinating as repulsive. It's a matter of personal taste. If you appreciate the S-curve, then you make it your specialty if you want, and do it up proper.
I hate the S-shape because it's just so unnatural to me. It's on the same level as a braided money tree or ficus. Reminds me of the tacky "lucky" bamboo bundles with the gold colored twisty bread tie holding them together.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd buy Kaneshin tools from Sumo Bonsai, though it is fun to order from Japan too.

Cuticle Cutters are better IMO.

Having good wire is much more important than paying for a class.

Sorce

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m basically an all online taught person and I still say I’m a beginner. You definitely don’t need to spend $160 on a course but you will have to spend hours and hours watching herons bonsai , Esei En and Ryan Neil . But watching it will help you understand more and know your professionals

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yes. I just bought stainless steel pruners from CastleGreens on Amazon and I'm really happy with it. It is made of plastic, but it will do for the next year or two.
If they feel good to you then they're perfect. If they start to frustrate you or don't do the job the way you want it done then you'll know it time to spring for something more finely made.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'd buy Kaneshin tools from Sumo Bonsai, though it is fun to order from Japan too.

Cuticle Cutters are better IMO.

Having good wire is much more important than paying for a class.

Sorce
Sorce,

You say having good wire is much more important...What do you mean by 'good wire'?

Is the third link the pair you have? How would cuticle scissors cut a thick branch? I think my pruners will probably work on any bonsai I'll have. Also, how do you sharpen these? Do you buy stainless steel or carbon steel?

I probably need knob cutters before getting the concave cutters.

Do you use knob cutters on all branches that you cut? It makes sense that you would to get that clean cut and not leave a piece of the branch.

I think I paid 30.00 for a pair of scissors and a few dollars more for the wire cutters. Nothing extravagant. I actually said when I bought all this stuff, "I don't know that I deserve this"
meaning the wire cutters since I thought I could use pliers instead. My husband laughed and said, 'You deserve them.' He has no patience for that kind of thinking and the owner of the nursery said 'I've lived a blessed life but I don't know if I've deserved it.' That was interesting. I spent over 300.00 that day and it felt like a lot but it included 3 good sized pre-bonsai plants. So I do deserve to have nice things. My husband's always the one that has always said about anything really nice, "Just get it."

Last edited:

Nickagainst1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That was helpful. At first I thought why not remove leaves and branches first and then I saw it was much easier to see when you could add motion to the branches! I'm not yet entirely clear about why one must be clockwise and the other counter clockwise but I get hung up on small things sometimes. That's the first video I've watched on wiring and I learned quite a lot. Thank you.
It is for anchoring purposes. If you do both in same directions branch A will move when u touch branch B.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I hate the S-shape because it's just so unnatural to me. It's on the same level as a braided money tree or ficus. Reminds me of the tacky "lucky" bamboo bundles with the gold colored twisty bread tie holding them together.
I can't stand those either. I have a real problem with ficus although I've seen some huge bonsai ficus trees that are beautiful. The bamboo bundles remind me of when we lived in Chine and all the stores have the lucky cat with the waving paw. The Chinese (no disrespect intended) are extremely superstitious. In the best neighborhood of Hong Kong they will pay over a million dollars more for a 'lucky' address. If you have so little then believing in luck is something to believe in I guess. Living there made me realize how truly fortunate we are to live in this country.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
i don’t know why the s shape is actually dis liked but I really don’t like the s shape . I never seen a good s shape in my life . I like “traditional” styles and starting to get into new and American styles. The S shape is easy for big nursery’s to make and it basically has no skill in doing . It’s just not like real bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I can't stand those either. I have a real problem with ficus although I've seen some huge bonsai ficus trees that are beautiful. The bamboo bundles remind me of when we lived in Chine and all the stores have the lucky cat with the waving paw. The Chinese (no disrespect intended) are extremely superstitious. In the best neighborhood of Hong Kong they will pay over a million dollars more for a 'lucky' address. If you have so little then believing in luck is something to believe in I guess. Living there made me realize how truly fortunate we are to live in this country.
I love Ficus. But I run into so many gross ones, like the "Ginseng" style that looks like tumors are coming out of the trunk. I recently bought one of those from Walmart for $13 and spent an hour cutting off all those nasty bulbous roots to eventually make a formal upright shohan of it. I made a post with pictures if you're bored.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've seen plenty of big trees in nature with somewhat S-shaped curves, so I wouldn't say it's unnatural or not bonsai-like.
It's a matter of the balance. Too symetrical, and it looks artificial. No low branching and the only thing you see is the S-shaped trunkline.
Take your eyes out of focus- or just take your Coke bottle bottom glasses off- and look at the silohuette. Fill the negative space, and empty the positive space.

mrbadfish

Seedling
Reaction score
My advice for wiring….. Watch what your other hand is doing, get a turntable/lazy Susan, be overly conscious of what BOTH hands are doing at all times. You’ll be so focused on what’s at your finger tips, that the side of your palm will break something else. Take your time. Don’t be afraid to let the wire bite in slightly before removing it, or remove it before it happens and be prepared to rewire. Buy some cheap nursery plants and practice. YOU WILL BREAK BRANCHES, AND IT SUCKS. BUT MOVE ON, ITS DONE. If it’s a fast grower, use a heavier gauge than you would, it won’t bite as fast.

Keep doing what you’re doing. Watch every video you can find on YouTube.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sorce,

You say having good wire is much more important...What do you mean by 'good wire'?

Is the third link the pair you have? How would cuticle scissors cut a thick branch? I think my pruners will probably work on any bonsai I'll have. Also, how do you sharpen these? Do you buy stainless steel or carbon steel?

I probably need knob cutters before getting the concave cutters.

Do you use knob cutters on all branches that you cut? It makes sense that you would to get that clean cut and not leave a piece of the branch.

I think I paid 30.00 for a pair of scissors and a few dollars more for the wire cutters. Nothing extravagant. I actually said when I bought all this stuff, "I don't know that I deserve this"
meaning the wire cutters since I thought I could use pliers instead. My husband laughed and said, 'You deserve them.' He has no patience for that kind of thinking and the owner of the nursery said 'I've lived a blessed life but I don't know if I've deserved it.' That was interesting. I spent over 300.00 that day and it felt like a lot but it included 3 good sized pre-bonsai plants. So I do deserve to have nice things. My husband's always the one that has always said about anything really nice, "Just get it."

Katie,

For the concave cutter and knob cutter it depends on the type of cut you want to make.
Concave cutter is usually more used.
Its a usefull tool to cut bigger branches.
Sometime one might do a first cut leaving material for die back instead.
Once the part left die you can use the cutter to cut it flush with the trunk if desired.

The regular concave cutters are essential.
Knob cutters also it depends on the scar you want to leave,Knob make a round cut the concave cutters cut straight, but leaves material resulting in a concave scar.

Hope it helps
Ugo

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Katie,

For the concave cutter and knob cutter it depends on the type of cut you want to make.
Concave cutter is usually more used.
Its a usefull tool to cut bigger branches.
Sometime one might do a first cut leaving material for die back instead.
Once the part left die you can use the cutter to cut it flush with the trunk if desired.

The regular concave cutters are essential.
Knob cutters also it depends on the scar you want to leave,Knob make a round cut the concave cutters cut straight, but leaves material resulting in a concave scar.

Hope it helps
Ugo
Thank you. I did a little more research and realized the concave cutters are essential as you put it. The knob cutters can wait. I'd hoped to get stainless steel but the carbon seems more affordable for a Japanese brand. I'd like to get quality after watching a video but would prefer stainless. Do you have a brand you suggest? My best understanding is that I should get the 8 inch cutter. Any thoughts on that size? I thought I could use Felco pruners but that would be a bad idea as they're bypass pruners! So I really don't need the knob cutters, the bypass pruners will probably be all I need for quite a long time. Thank you for sharing that. Katie

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I almost got the Carhartt tool roll linked earlier but ended up going with this one instead. I've been pretty happy with it. I don't have enough tools to fill it yet.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I love Ficus. But I run into so many gross ones, like the "Ginseng" style that looks like tumors are coming out of the trunk. I recently bought one of those from Walmart for $13 and spent an hour cutting off all those nasty bulbous roots to eventually make a formal upright shohan of it. I made a post with pictures if you're bored.
I'm not bored but I'd like to see the pictures. I found a women who was selling her bonsai and she had a desert rose. The plant itself was pretty but I could NOT get over the trunk (if you can call it that), it looked like a baked sweet potato but not as pretty. Oh, so ugly. Here's a pic.desert rose 2021-08-18 at .png

Top Bottom