A cedar[?] yard-adori opportunity

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
A neighbor is offering up a roughly 8' evergreen she identifies as a cedar. Trunk is pretty straight but it does have branches quite low. I'm thinking if I were to dig it up, I'd chop it to 3' [or less?] and see where it went from there. Do folks think it's worth the effort?IMG_2281[1].JPGIMG_2279[1].JPGIMG_2278[1].JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leyland cypress. not worth the effort. Mostly a fast-growing junk tree used in landscaping for screening off or blocking unwanted views (roads, other building, etc.) and dampen sound. It's a hybrid of Monterey Cypress and Alaskan Nootka cypress.

They've fallen out of favor with many landscapers:

As bonsai, they are similar to White Cedar (arborvitae) but have none of the rugged charm. You have to learn how to deal with the fan-like foliage. Others have tried to make bonsai from it. Limited success:

Others have mediocre results--fifth pic down:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aside from it being a poor candidate for a host of reasons, it is altogether a boring plant when trying to conceptualize as a bonsai.
It is a nice but overused tree for screening in the landscape. They do have their problems though even as a landscape plant. They seem to be fairly brittle and I have seen large ones (30'+) snap in high wind. The biggest problem is that they have been so overused for the past 40 or 50 years, that they have developed a host of problems with insect and disease resistance, and with genetics as well. As a landscaper, I haven't planted one in about 30 years.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I would dig it for sure, yeah you will have to go with the classic chokan with ten-jin old spruce style, but look it as a practice tree with low spectations, maybe it surprises you

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would save there is a greater likelihood of learning bad habits than good with this type of material. The frustration of trying to make a bonsai of this aside from the time invested, No Way.
But its your time and energy, you have been cautioned.

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Preponderance of the feedback is not to do it. Though Arnold suggests viewing it as practice, I don't have the room for something w/ low expectations and I'm passing on it. Thanks for the thoughts

Top Bottom