yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
F32C282C-3EB2-4A31-8018-04BEC2350CFE_zpsbdkak1x6.jpg

6556FC85-12C0-4A26-8BAD-E9F93EFA65C5_zps2t7yuxek.jpg

2C315014-8BF7-4165-BE15-1997B5BBC897_zpsguf8egxp.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a thread on "world class Bonsai" maybe its just me but I think these trees have that potential. Do you mind grabbing me one next time your out?;) Can you tell us some about the collection? Have you know about the trees or did you just stumble on to them while hunting?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How do you intend to make it into a pot with that one on the left if I may ask? It appears that there is a long cobra like part of the trunk between the area where you show it sitting on the pot and the roots? Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong... but really, can you use the whole thing?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No worries, folks! Yenling has died this before! He builds a custom box and lets the trees start to grow new roots. Then reduced the root ball down over a couple years.

Here's an example of another tree he's collected:

IMG_4040.JPG

That's the "Coffin Tree". Knicknamed after its first grow box that was shaped like a coffin. I was there a couple years ago when he broke the coffin up, and I helped reduce the root ball. I think there were 3 of us working on it! He was able to saw off some really heavy roots because of the new roots that grew close to the trunk. Then he put it in this smaller grow box.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
There was a thread on "world class Bonsai" maybe its just me but I think these trees have that potential. Do you mind grabbing me one next time your out?;) Can you tell us some about the collection? Have you know about the trees or did you just stumble on to them while hunting?
Thanks Matt, very kind words! I found the tree on the left maybe 2 or 3 years ago and visited it twice before actually collecting it earlier this month. I had to mentally pump myself up to actually collect and pack it back to my truck. It was super far and I wanted to make sure I did it the right way.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
How do you intend to make it into a pot with that one on the left if I may ask? It appears that there is a long cobra like part of the trunk between the area where you show it sitting on the pot and the roots? Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong... but really, can you use the whole thing?
Good observation and question! It's possible that I'll just keep it a taller tree and reduce the roots over a few re-pottings. But, I think I might end up root grafting to significantly shortening this one under the guidance of Boon.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
No worries, folks! Yenling has died this before! He builds a custom box and lets the trees start to grow new roots. Then reduced the root ball down over a couple years.

Here's an example of another tree he's collected:

View attachment 121834

That's the "Coffin Tree". Knicknamed after its first grow box that was shaped like a coffin. I was there a couple years ago when he broke the coffin up, and I helped reduce the root ball. I think there were 3 of us working on it! He was able to saw off some really heavy roots because of the new roots that grew close to the trunk. Then he put it in this smaller grow box.

Thanks for the help with that one Adair! I'm going to re-pot that one again this year and reduce the box size again and measure for a Clay pot. It's filled in a lot since that picture.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look a bit small but not bad.

What are the boxes like in the end? Where you able to bend the roots into something shorter or decided to reduce them a bit more or just planted them in ski bags?
Nice to see some roots coming back with them.
I see the bark is lightly peeled too, checking for borers?

Random User

Reaction score
The sheer size of the one on the left reminds me of one that is close to me. I think it is a Rocky Mountain Juniper, but I'm not absolutely sure yet. WAY too big for a bonsai and probably way over 100 years old when looking at others near it... it's so large even the horses feed around it. Plus, after working with that thing, the majority of your body would be one huge scab.

Beautiful find... am looking forward to the first presentation.

Random User

Reaction score
After a little research, I'd guess what I am looking at near me is Common Juniper... some sites say it can live over 400 years...

I see this thread is posted in the juniper section, but that looks like a cedar to me... or are my eyes just not worth a darn?

It's beautiful no matter what it is...

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
They look a bit small but not bad.

What are the boxes like in the end? Where you able to bend the roots into something shorter or decided to reduce them a bit more or just planted them in ski bags?
Nice to see some roots coming back with them.
I see the bark is lightly peeled too, checking for borers?
:) I made wooden boxes to fit the root ball, they are not much larger than the root ball itself. I reduced the root ball only very slightly, i'm sure some may have made it smaller than what I did, but I figure for now my number one goal is the health of the tree and i'll worry about making thing look nice in years to come. Thanks!

Top Bottom