A Couple More Virginia Pines...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

after some pruning...pushing 3' tall
IMG_3552.JPG

These three were among the earliest out of the ground and thus have the least amount of bark...but its coming.
IMG_3554.JPG

This one was one of the last out of the ground...hard to tell from the photo but it has about twice the trunk caliper and the bark is further along...
IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

and after some pruning...also close to 3'. Pot by Preston Tolbert
IMG_3564.JPG

I think this one will look much better after a good wiring this fall!

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Why did you choose this method of guy wiring rather than tradional wiring?

You are so amazingly predictable:) It boils down to the fact that this tree was fully repotted last fall...due to this I didn't want to do a complete wiring but I did want to go ahead and pull the branches down so that this year's growth would be at the correct orientation after I do a complete wiring this fall. (I noticed you were no longer critical of my use of chopsticks after I did a complete wiring on my white pine...the chopsticks effectively opened up several branches allowing the foliage to do its thing until I had the time and inclination to spend double digit hours wiring) I do agree that there is no substitute for good wiring...it is the only way to create the ultra-refined classical Japanese look. I do, however, also believe that guy wires, props, and pulls, are also effective training techniques and if used wisely can save development time and my time! YMMV! Like wiring they can also be misused...

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can't believe it's a Virginia pine. It's beautiful. My professors in landscape architecture school called it the "Ditch pine." growing up I heard it called a nigger pine more than once. Universally disliked. I don't mean to offend, the tree is awesome.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are real pretty.

I have a unique ability to not see the wires.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol!!!

At least I'm consistent, John. I knew you had a good reason. I didn't know if it was the time thing, or whether you wanted to avoid wire scars, or what.

Wiring does take a lot of time. And as the trees get more refined, with more branches, each tree takes more and more time. I know you have a LOT of trees, so I know that it is a challenge to maintain them all. I couldn't do it.

I noticed you said you repotted in the fall. Is this your standard procedure with Virginia Pine?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Can't believe it's a Virginia pine. It's beautiful. My professors in landscape architecture school called it the "Ditch pine." growing up I heard it called a nigger pine more than once. Universally disliked. I don't mean to offend, the tree is awesome.
You must have grown up with Paula Dean!

Reactions: Rid

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

after some pruning...pushing 3' tall
IMG_3552.JPG

These three were among the earliest out of the ground and thus have the least amount of bark...but its coming.
IMG_3554.JPG

This one was one of the last out of the ground...hard to tell from the photo but it has about twice the trunk caliper and the bark is further along...
IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

and after some pruning...also close to 3'. Pot by Preston Tolbert
IMG_3564.JPG

I think this one will look much better after a good wiring this fall!
Looking good buddy! What are they growing in?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These are the makings of some nice trees, great work John. I like the Preston pot and the fact that you gave him credit... Cheers!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I noticed you said you repotted in the fall. Is this your standard procedure with Virginia Pine?

Part of an ongoing experiment, lacking any great conclusions at this point, but the Fall results were excellent. I did one in late August summer before last and it was a fail!

Looking good buddy! What are they growing in?
All but the group of three are in organic-less mix....
The group is in potting soil...(whispered so no one hears:)) They will get repotted this fall.

These are the makings of some nice trees, great work John. I like the Preston pot and the fact that you gave him credit... Cheers!

Hey Friend!!...How about a nice Eli container for the group of three!! One of several I would like to work with you on! Round..about 14" with some sort of earth tone glazing...nothing textured or too heavy...what do you think?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm definitely going to have to try that method of guy wiring, if only to annoy Adair!

Trees look nice, John.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
This is just too funny!! It can be a pretty ugly species in its natural state. I think reducing the needle length helps to eliminate the twisting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Part of an ongoing experiment, lacking any great conclusions at this point, but the Fall results were excellent. I did one in late August summer before last and it was a fail!

All but the group of three are in organic-less mix....
The group is in potting soil...(whispered so no one hears:)) They will get repotted this fall.

Hey Friend!!...How about a nice Eli container for the group of three!! One of several I would like to work with you on! Round..about 14" with some sort of earth tone glazing...nothing textured or too heavy...what do you think?

I'm in! Let's talk...

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
That wiring on tree 2 was awesome. These are great how can I tell the difference between these and Scott's pines since I'm in Maryland they both grow here. Maybe even other pines lol

Top Bottom