A Couple Of Conifers I’ve Been Working On

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s a couple of trees I’ve worked on recently. Always open to critiques and thoughts.

First up is a Colorado Blue Spruce. This tree was in @Owen Reich ’s collection. I bought it at the Nashville Bonsai Society auction. I felt this was a difficult piece to style. So I’m happy with my first crack at it.

As Purchased:

CDEF7BB0-7EE2-440A-A1A8-5F35A1CE0BEE.jpeg
And after:

6022280A-E55B-448A-91D6-439A68A44631.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Up next is a yew I’ve had for awhile. It was initially styled at one of my weekends at Bjorn’s.

But I had taken the wire off awhile ago and it had gotten a bit out of shape. So I restyled the tree.

Before:
C86E1F00-937D-49D0-81DA-0AB6CE460D53.jpeg
And after:

3A554C9F-88CA-4F04-B928-B29BEC220CBC.jpeg

Looking forward to getting both trees in more appropriate pots.

Especially this yew.

Stay Safe ya’ll

✌🏻❤️ Bonsai

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Both are very nice trees, well done!
The yew is amazing!

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think they look great. You've got a really good eye.

On the yew, did you consider bringing the bottom of the left branch back towards the right to fill in that space a bit? It's hard to see in 2d whether it's worth it.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think they look great. You've got a really good eye.

On the yew, did you consider bringing the bottom of the left branch back towards the right to fill in that space a bit? It's hard to see in 2d whether it's worth it.
It’s worth considering. That branch could use a bit more movement as well.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some nice work @Gdy2000 !!

Do you feel as though your results have been sort of "sped up" working with Bjorn? I figure "yes" but just thought I'd ask.
.....not so much "speed" but a better overall understanding and a better developed eye for "styling".....

Again, nice work. I mean, not all of us are "garbage" to paraphrase.....;) :D :D :D :D :D 🥳

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some nice work @Gdy2000 !!

Do you feel as though your results have been sort of "sped up" working with Bjorn? I figure "yes" but just thought I'd ask.
.....not so much "speed" but a better overall understanding and a better developed eye for "styling".....

Again, nice work. I mean, not all of us are "garbage" to paraphrase.....;) :D :D :D :D :D 🥳
Without a doubt.

Obviously, Bjorns a great artist, but he’s also a great teacher.

It also helps to go to his garden and see the trees. It pushes you to create.

Those things, plus having the resources to invest in Bonsai, are the biggest reasons my progress has been “sped up”.

I appreciate your kind words.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Without a doubt.

Obviously, Bjorns a great artist, but he’s also a great teacher.

It also helps to go to his garden and see the trees. It pushes you to create.

Those things, plus having the resources to invest in Bonsai, are the biggest reasons my progress has been “sped up”.

I appreciate your kind words.
I should also say that posting here to Bnut has helped my progress.

Anytime you share a tree online (or at a show, I would think, I’ve never shown a tree) you open yourself up to critiques and criticism . Which, in turn, forces you to get better.

Learning to style a tree so it looks good in a photo is a skill all to itself.

You can go back to some of my first threads and my trees were horrendous. But, they got better.

Finally, I should say that after 5 years, I realize how little I know. I can’t graft to save my life, my deciduous trees are a rift with charred leaves and I still kill more trees than I should. So much more to learn!!

Top Bottom