a couple of conifers...

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
hello all

here's a couple of my trees, a yew and a larch, both recently repotted (they really were ready)

taxus
BONSAIPIC005.jpg

larix
BONSAIPIC006.jpg

regards, john:)

ps, sorry but everything is frozen solid this morning and i'm none to good with a camera:eek:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I love the larch. I have 2 questions. First, your yew seems to be very yellow compared to the norm in my experience...is this normal for your tree, or is it a recent change, or perhaps, related to the photography. I was also wondering about your post re-pot care. Do you bother providing shelter from freezes post re-pot? I know both trees are very hardy and can tolerate deep freezes, but I would be concerned if the soil were to freeze solid immediately after working the roots. Perhaps it's not as cold as it appears. Thanks,

Dave

PS I've allowed (accidentally) a JBP to freeze solid (26F) immediately post 50% root reduction...it did fine, but it was in a fairly large training pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
John,

Just a suggestion....

When you take pictures, try and take it from your personal desired "front" and so that the back rim of the pot is just barely showing. This angle shows us the tree from an angle most likely to be used in the future for photos and to show. This allows us to see the structure of the tree and it makes it easier for virts to be done at this angle and with a non-distracting background.

This same angle, just showing the back rim, should also be used for side views, back views, etc.

All that being said, I'd like to see this Yew from such an angle, it appears to have some interesting movement.

Will

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
I love the larch. I have 2 questions. First, your yew seems to be very yellow compared to the norm in my experience...is this normal for your tree, or is it a recent change, or perhaps, related to the photography. I was also wondering about your post re-pot care. Do you bother providing shelter from freezes post re-pot? I know both trees are very hardy and can tolerate deep freezes, but I would be concerned if the soil were to freeze solid immediately after working the roots. Perhaps it's not as cold as it appears. Thanks,

Dave

PS I've allowed (accidentally) a JBP to freeze solid (26F) immediately post 50% root reduction...it did fine, but it was in a fairly large training pot.

hello dave

the yew seems to go this colour through winter, i have a few that do, i have one that goes brown too:eek: , they usually colour up in spring (i have a cryptomeria that looks like it's dead every winter:( ), though this yew hasn't been repotted in at least five years...
i repotted the trees about two weeks ago when we were lulled into a false sense of spring, i don't actually pamper them (i have two cold greenhouses but they're full of slightly more tender stuff, young maple cuttings etc)
here in the UK, we have been having warmer winters for a few years now with only the occasional hard frost that my trees seem to have taken in their stride, this week has seen some very hard frosts (for this little island at least!)but by midday you can walk about in a t-shirt:confused:

Will, i'll try to do better with the pics (i really am useless with a camera but i'm hoping to buy a dslr this year, not that i'll probably know what to do with it:eek: )

btw, this was the little larch before i drastically altered it:p

bonsailarix.jpg

and here's the other yew that 'browns' each winter:rolleyes:

bonsaiyewrepotted.jpg

thanks, john:)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
hello dave

btw, this was the little larch before i drastically altered it:p

bonsailarix.jpg

and here's the other yew that 'browns' each winter:rolleyes:

bonsaiyewrepotted.jpg

thanks, john:)

Nice change with the larch, and yeah, that yew looks positively dead, save a few green spots here and there. Good luck with them.

Dave

Top Bottom