GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I waited to chop until there were some leaves on them, but it's probably still not an ideal time to strike cuttings.

Keep them damp with moderate light and you will be surprised. I take cuttings from those any time and they take. I also make sure not to move them at all including no exposure to wind. Seems where I live they just plain take from end of Winter until early Spring when cut. Here is one I cut while the tree was still dormant just pushing bud a few weeks ago. It is now tossing leaf and I expect it to be root bound by the end of Summer.
Nice one's there and I am pretty certain they will do much better in your care including the roots!

IMG_0330.JPG

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I thought this was @LanceMac10 s thread!;) 2fer!

Ha!

Colin, "wasted growth".

Love that. The most important thing to balance! Fine Line. I like how you walk it!
Only other person to speak of it is......
(________)
Wait, will, "that Facebook Dude" got in there?

Anyway, I'm going to drink to that right now!:p

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
letting all of this seasons growth go to waste

Let's relish in that.

That's builder talk.
Craft that thing.

If my drink relates to Foemina, what am I drinking?

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not sure they can be propagated by cuttings. Or probably I haven't seen it yet. The trunks will be nice.
Hi Colin, may I ask how your cuttings are?

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Can we go back to the discussion about cutting off branches? Just collected a few apples and have planted them in the ground to recover for this year. I removed several branches to balance out the amount of roots removed but you are saying I should leave a stub for now and not go right to the trunk? What is the difference cutting them back to the trunk now vs. in the fall?
Thanks, Jim.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I thought I would re-write my notes. Let me know if they takes, interested...
I will. I'm not sure it represents a good data point though - I had so much wind in the weeks after starting them, that even pomegranate cuttings dried out and gave up!

Top Bottom