A couple of my trees from this weekends show

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The Sacramento Bonsai Club's annual show was this past weekend. I showed my Lodgepole Pine and my California juniper. The juniper was originally styled by Bjorn at our club a number of years ago and I was the lucky raffle winner. I collected the lodgepole at Mammoth Lakes in 2013 and did the big bending in our study group with Peter Tea in 2016. The lodgepole won Member's Choice award for best large conifer.

The lodgepole before styling...

Bendy Lodgepole 12-12-15 006.jpgBendy Lodgepole 12-12-15 004.jpg

And at the show...

59774492_2253496381382761_5837107700567113728_n.jpg

The juniper after Bjorn's demo...

Bjorn demo.JPG

and at the show...

59636885_2253553684710364_7834052323935518720_n.jpg

Attachments

• Bendy Lodgepole 12-12-15 004.jpg
    Bendy Lodgepole 12-12-15 004.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 167

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice trees! Congrats! I’m wondering what your thought process was for leaving that left side branch on the pine? Seems out of place with the rest of the design. And bending it down that far only created and enclosed space which isn’t very visually pleasing. To my eye at least.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice trees! Congrats! I’m wondering what your thought process was for leaving that left side branch on the pine? Seems out of place with the rest of the design. And bending it down that far only created and enclosed space which isn’t very visually pleasing. To my eye at least.
OK. I'll try. I've had more comments and criticism about that branch that anything else about the tree. Which maybe in itself justifies its existence. The trunk is weird and unusual. but very symmetrically curved and in my eye rather boring by itself. The foliage mass to the right is pretty and very traditional styling. without the left branch the tree is pretty but not special. The left branch gives the tree validity in my opinion. it is always the incongruous and unusual that we notice and remember. To me this branch is the soul of the tree... the rest is the pretty face. The left branch is what people will remember whether they like it or not. Every good bonsai needs a feature that makes it unique and that is the purpose of this branch.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK. I'll try. I've had more comments and criticism about that branch that anything else about the tree. Which maybe in itself justifies its existence. The trunk is weird and unusual. but very symmetrically curved and in my eye rather boring by itself. The foliage mass to the right is pretty and very traditional styling. without the left branch the tree is pretty but not special. The left branch gives the tree validity in my opinion. it is always the incongruous and unusual that we notice and remember. To me this branch is the soul of the tree... the rest is the pretty face. The left branch is what people will remember whether they like it or not. Every good bonsai needs a feature that makes it unique and that is the purpose of this branch.

Well spoken. Your defining branch:cool:.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my opinion (and take it for what its worth--which ain't a lot) I think you underestimate the uniqueness of this tree's trunk. It is memorable by itself, without the rather boring branch on the left that is competing with it. that left branch may be memorable, but for the wrong reasons. All you remember about this tree is that branch--not it's distinct trunk and its character....

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the twisted trunk style. Don't gonna lie but never seen this kind of curve. Keep it up buddy.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Great looking trees Paul! I live in Sacramento, have been practicing Bonsai about a year now( bonsai nut has been an amazing resource!!) and want to join a club. I’ve noticed two clubs here in Sacramento, and was wondering if one was better or more active than the other. I plan on joining both to maximize my learning opportunities but any advice or insight into Sacramento’s Bonsai clubs would be greatly appreciated!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Great looking trees Paul! I live in Sacramento, have been practicing Bonsai about a year now( bonsai nut has been an amazing resource!!) and want to join a club. I’ve noticed two clubs here in Sacramento, and was wondering if one was better or more active than the other. I plan on joining both to maximize my learning opportunities but any advice or insight into Sacramento’s Bonsai clubs would be greatly appreciated!
I belong to both the American Bonsai Association which meets at the Shepard Garden and Arts Center in Mckinley Park on the fourth Tuesday of the Month at 7 PM and the Sacramento Bonsai Club which meets at the Sacramento Buddhist church on Riverside on the second Monday of the month at 7 PM. Both are great, active clubs but a little different in focus. The ABAS has more lecture and demonstration type programs at the meetings and is a great opportunity to learn from bonafide experts. They also offer workshops/ classes for beginners as well as an annual show, home tour, bus trip and auction.
The Sacramento Bonsai club, the oldest bonsai club in the U.S. , has meetings with a more hands on approach where members can work on trees and receive help from experienced members and teachers as well as occasional demos by experts. They also have an annual Spring show.

I am a former president of ABAS and current Vice President of SBC and would suggest joining both if you can. guests are always welcome at meetings so check them out.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In my opinion (and take it for what its worth--which ain't a lot) I think you underestimate the uniqueness of this tree's trunk. It is memorable by itself, without the rather boring branch on the left that is competing with it. that left branch may be memorable, but for the wrong reasons. All you remember about this tree is that branch--not it's distinct trunk and its character....
1557961694871.pngRemarkable trunk! I see people Remarkable indeed. I see people and faces in objects, particularly our bathroom tile I laid.
This trunk is NO exception. It has a spirit within and a face to prove it. Old wretched soul done well :)

Attachments

• 1557961474362.png
    1557961474362.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 29

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
I belong to both the American Bonsai Association which meets at the Shepard Garden and Arts Center in Mckinley Park on the fourth Tuesday of the Month at 7 PM and the Sacramento Bonsai Club which meets at the Sacramento Buddhist church on Riverside on the second Monday of the month at 7 PM. Both are great, active clubs but a little different in focus. The ABAS has more lecture and demonstration type programs at the meetings and is a great opportunity to learn from bonafide experts. They also offer workshops/ classes for beginners as well as an annual show, home tour, bus trip and auction.
The Sacramento Bonsai club, the oldest bonsai club in the U.S. , has meetings with a more hands on approach where members can work on trees and receive help from experienced members and teachers as well as occasional demos by experts. They also have an annual Spring show.

I am a former president of ABAS and current Vice President of SBC and would suggest joining both if you can. guests are always welcome at meetings so check them out.
Thanks for the information! I’m going to take your advice and join both. See you at the next meeting!

Top Bottom