A couple of new one's from Don Blackmond, last one's for the year.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What does the "back" of that Pondersosa look like?

Is that elm two trees planted together? Or are they connected?

In the elm(s), you need to start killing the moss back off the bark. It will destroy it if you don't.

Dab white wine vinegar onto the moss on the trunks using Qtips or small cotton balls. Cover the soil surface as you don't want to drip vinegar on the soil.

In a couple weeks, the moss will die, and you will be able to very carefully pick it off with tweezers. Wait until it has completely turned brown and has dried up. Otherwise, you'll pull off some bark. And you don't want to do that.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score

In the elm(s), you need to start killing the moss back off the bark. It will destroy it if you don't.

Dab white wine vinegar onto the moss on the trunks using Qtips or small cotton balls. Cover the soil surface as you don't want to drip vinegar on the soil.

In a couple weeks, the moss will die, and you will be able to very carefully pick it off with tweezers. Wait until it has completely turned brown and has dried up. Otherwise, you'll pull off some bark. And you don't want to do that.

All I know is that it's a twin trunk. I would imagine their one root ball by now though but I'm not 100%. Story goes Nick Lenz originally started this tree a looong time ago. As far as the moss goes I'm pretty sure the New Mexico climate will kill it off naturally like all of the other moss on all of the other tree's that have came in lol. I'll give it two weeks, if it's still alive and kickin I'll take your advice and use the vinegar:)

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Wow, You have amassed quite a collection. Makes my piddly little trees look like pre-school.

I think I just got really lucky but this hobby definitely escalated quickly:) Thing is, with this caliber of tree's the pressure is definitely on and I'm just really glad I have the support of my local Bonsai club and this forum. When I got into Bonsai in April I had no idea that I would get this deep this fast lol.....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please post a pic of the back side of the Pondy when you get a chance.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here ya go, it's very PunkRock:)

I think I like the third image of the "back" set of pictures best as the front.

Your original front has the tree appearing to lean away. And, I don't like that Jin jutting straight forward. If rather see that in the back, or maybe reduced some.

I also think it would benefit by being potted deeper in the pot. So that the round bulge is buried a little. Long term, you may consider grafting some roots on.

Cool tree!

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I think I just got really lucky but this hobby definitely escalated quickly:) .....When I got into Bonsai in April I had no idea that I would get this deep this fast lol.....

Addict of metropolis...slam dance cosmopolus.....

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score

I talked to Don and he said that the Elm is two separate tree's that have fused together like I suspected. I think I like the back side of the Ponderosa as the front too:)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Trees are pretty big. That oak is much more than I thought it was.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Trees are pretty big. That oak is much more than I thought it was.

Yea it turns out that I actually prefer the larger Bonsai over the small one's. 25-39 inches tall with aged bark and thick trunks with brilliant canopies just to me projects so much magnificence!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
While you have amassed a great collection in no time - you should collect tree's as well or starter material. You will learn more and have a greater understanding of a trees development and how to deal with things, styling and the like. Not saying you can't do it on these but I feel the understanding is greater when you develop something from a bare stump. You may already have done this but I figured i'd put it out there.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
While you have amassed a great collection in no time - you should collect tree's as well or starter material. You will learn more and have a greater understanding of a trees development and how to deal with things, styling and the like. Not saying you can't do it on these but I feel the understanding is greater when you develop something from a bare stump. You may already have done this but I figured i'd put it out there.
I'm dragging him out collecting the autumn and next spring, the two of us together can probably being some bad as shut down from the mountains. I do agree, you have more understanding and love for a tree you've developed.

Aaron

Top Bottom