A Couple Of New Pots

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks guys. I did sell some this spring at the Atlanta club's spring show. I sold most of what I had so I'm building my stock back up hoping to vend at the Winter Silhouette show in December.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Eli, good looking pots! Rodney was here last week, he said you had been making some pots. Look forward to seeing more.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shohin oval with "men in tights" glaze for me please.
Nice work. I love them

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know anything about pots or pottery, but I was wondering how you create an oval pot that appears to be spun (thrown?) Is there a special wheel to do that or just skill?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good question CW. I throw a round shape on the wheel and after the clay is centered I open it all the way to the wheel head, leaving no clay on the bottom. I make the walls the shape I want and let it set up, then remove it and alter the shape into an oval. For the bottom I roll out a slab and connect the ring to the slab. There are other ways, but this way I get to throw on the wheel and use hand building techniques. Getting a symmetrical oval that holds it's true shape all the way thru the process is difficult as things can easily get warped and wonky. I won't say I'm after perfection as these hands are not capable of such feats. But the pursuit of better and better keeps me coming back for more. Thanks for looking.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A couple more out today. Onward and upward.

Attachments

• Men Jen 1.JPG
    Men Jen 1.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Men Jen 2.JPG
    Men Jen 2.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Men Jen 3.JPG
    Men Jen 3.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 127
  • NC MJ Top.JPG
    NC MJ Top.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Nutmeg Chun 1.JPG
    Nutmeg Chun 1.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 130

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Looking very good Eli! Any chance of knocking down the shine a little on the glazed pots? When I look closely at my favorite glazed containers they always seem to have more of a matte finish....something to work toward!

Thanks for posting....we need all the good potters we can get!

Top Bottom