A couple of olives

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I decided it has warmed up enough here to work on olives.
These 2 were collected on a club dig a few years ago.

This multi trunk clump was repotted last spring and has responded with masses of healthy growth so it is time to do some pruning and further styling work. The root mass is extensive so I've elected to keep some of the extra trunks, at least for now.
IMGP9477.JPG

The short, fat branch on the main trunk looked a but stiff and too thick so I have carved it a little to reduce the visual weight. Also carved a couple of the stumps from previous trunk removals. I intend to trim new growth more regularly this year to start creating ramification on the branches.
IMGP9478.JPG

IMGP9479.JPG

The other one I worked with today is a large single trunk tree. I chose this one because the trunk had some taper an good movement. Initially it was just a bare trunk but as usual it sprouted lots of new shoots. The ones in good locations were allowed to grow freely for a year or 2 to establish the main branches and to thicken a bit. last year I began regular trimming to get some ramification started on the branches. The apex has been allowed to grow freely to try to heal a large cut near the top of the trunk.
IMGP9481.JPG

IMGP9482.JPG

I was hoping to get this one into a neater grow pot but there's no way it was going to fit into the 30 cm orchid pots.
IMGP9483.JPG

It has gone back into another polystyrene fruit box. I chopped some more lumps off the root ball and managed to turn the trunk to the front of the box this time.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The last one really looks great! I hope the wound up top heals well because i think the apex will really benefit from a reduction. Its trunk is a perfect miniature of some of the gnarliest, old olives I've seen. Great stuff!

Top Bottom