A couple of Procumbens nana

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So, here is one of the junipers I got, it is small... but I want to keep it shohin size... it must be like 25cm from ground level.

Procumbens #1
Barrosinc - Procumbens 1 Feb 2015  - 0001.jpg Barrosinc - Procumbens 1 Feb 2015  - 0002.jpg Barrosinc - Procumbens 1 Feb 2015  - 0003.jpg Barrosinc - Procumbens 1 Feb 2015  - 0004.jpg Barrosinc - Procumbens 1 Feb 2015  - 0005.jpg
The branch bar, is to raise the trunk a bit, I am not really fond of the natural growth of these junipers.

I was thinking in something like:

Thomas_Mozden_gallery_juniper_procumbens.jpg

I could raise the highest branch to make it the continuation of the trunk.

Any ideas???

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got nothing for you Max.

I am the Juniper Plague!

Well, if it were mine, I'd cut back that larger branch second up, till the bottom one is bigger. Maybe just keep it pinched a year or 2, till the lower catches up.

After that, its a waiting game!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh. I hope not. That is a very routine, copycat bonsai. You can make a much more natural looking bonsai than that.

:(:(:(

I have just been at this for a year, it is still hard for me to style without large amounts of internet inspiration.
Care to share some?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How about wiring the trunk and putting a clockwise twist in it...compacts it a bit, and puts one of those lower two left branches toward the back, or even to the right.

You'll want to grow out a couple low escape branches to thicken the trunk while you're at it. That will help overcome the present young look.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have 6.5mm aluminum wire on order to arrive this week, should I try that one?? The trunk is like an inch. Maybe double wire?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks guys! Is there a best time to do this heavy bending? Some trees already lost their leaves down here.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've always been told you can wire Junipers anytime. However, it's a little easier when the sap is flowing. That's what I've been told anyway.

Top Bottom