A couple rocks

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been looking for interesting rocks in the Rocky Mountain foothills to someday use as
RORs. Are these yay or nay?

DSCF7685.jpg DSCF7686.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the second as is....

The first...
I could dig with a lighter bark.
But something dark would be too contrasty.
It's good enough to do it right!
(pick the right tree)

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya I also like the second one to.

Man I'm not a big fan of whiter rocks but them there look quite nice.. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They are cute :)

A thing though: the 2nd one is much more altered than the 1st one and may break very easily on the pre-existing craks so don't put anything with strong roots there...

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So is it the shape of the second that makes it more appealing? Does the shape make it seem more solid and bigger than it actually is? The peak is about 4" above the soil line, so good for a shohin size.
The first is top heavy and unbalanced. Could that be used effectively somehow? Maybe a tree that is light on top and bigger, more solid looking roots?

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
When I first looked at no.1 (quartzite?very hard I believe)I wondered what it would look like upside down to the way you mounted it(so that you could still use that vertical fissure).Now that I can see the end that you had buried,I haven't changed my mind.

If I were Buddha on that cliff face,I wouldn't laugh too hard.:oops:

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
run along

I'd rather see them bump out and go down.
Something in a raftishcascade.
aviary-image-1458348936750.jpeg
Imagination fully required!

I like the jagged edge.
Something with thorns and flowers.

Sorce

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
I have been looking for interesting rocks in the Rocky Mountain foothills to someday use as
RORs. Are these yay or nay?View attachment 98035 View attachment 98036
I would agree, yay or nay. Kind'a personal preference, buuut, having said that, my gut feeling, left one; has a pot brighter than the rock, getting just as much attention if not more, and it looks like it would only take 48-72 hours of dust collection to be the straw to tip the rock over, already lifting left pot leg off "ground" (was enticed to just sit and wait for it to fall over until realized it's just a picture, only took 37 minutes till I realized it). Right one, I'm personally biased because we have three snowcapped mountains 50-100 miles away, elevations Hood-11250', Adams-12280', and Saint Helens-8366' (since she blew her top). Your right rock resembles (on a small scale) these three and numerous others within a few more hundred miles. White/light upper contrasted with what is darker below to force attention to the upper, starkly rising from the lower surrounding. When I was looking at the enlarged view and seeing some "moss"? I thought "yeah, that's really what it needs, a blanket of moss to set it off", but again I may be biased because moss is common here. If you're gonna have the rock growing/rising out of its own dirt in its own pot, (rather than say sitting on a darker gray piece of slate/shale/granite?), then I think a moss blanket would be in order. Buuut, just saying.
Edited after reading and noting ROR. My blah, blah, blah was more in relation to SAR (stand alone rock), for what it's worth.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
was enticed to just sit and wait for it to fall over until realized it's just a picture, only took 37 minutes till I realized it).

HellOL!

Good one!

Sorce

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would agree, yay or nay. Kind'a personal preference, buuut, having said that, my gut feeling, left one; has a pot brighter than the rock, getting just as much attention if not more, and it looks like it would only take 48-72 hours of dust collection to be the straw to tip the rock over, already lifting left pot leg off "ground" (was enticed to just sit and wait for it to fall over until realized it's just a picture, only took 37 minutes till I realized it). Right one, I'm personally biased because we have three snowcapped mountains 50-100 miles away, elevations Hood-11250', Adams-12280', and Saint Helens-8366' (since she blew her top). Your right rock resembles (on a small scale) these three and numerous others within a few more hundred miles. White/light upper contrasted with what is darker below to force attention to the upper, starkly rising from the lower surrounding. When I was looking at the enlarged view and seeing some "moss"? I thought "yeah, that's really what it needs, a blanket of moss to set it off", but again I may be biased because moss is common here. If you're gonna have the rock growing/rising out of its own dirt in its own pot, (rather than say sitting on a darker gray piece of slate/shale/granite?), then I think a moss blanket would be in order. Buuut, just saying.
Edited after reading and noting ROR. My blah, blah, blah was more in relation to SAR (stand alone rock), for what it's worth.

My bad. I should have posted this in ROR, instead of Suiseki. But thanks for the entertaining, informative post, anyway.

Top Bottom