a couple up

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For sale, I have a blue/green atlas cedar. This tree just needs some work put in it to become what it should already have become. I just never find the time for this guy. It's super healthy, and has a lot of new growth this year. These need pinched to ramify, but didn't get to it. It's in a very nice rectangular pot with a stamp on the bottom. Not sure but I think it's a yixing. I'll see if I can find out more about that if there is any interest in this tree. Pot is 12.5x9.5x3.5. Tree is 15" tall by 20 wide and a 2"trunk above the large base
spread.

P1010239.jpgP1010240.jpgP1010241.jpgP1010242.jpgP1010243.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's a exposed Crape Myrtle that is very interesting. It's in a great pot, has no stamp but is very heavy. Probably a good Chinese production pot, but has great glaze. I would consider selling tree without the pot as I do like it. Pot is 12.5x8.5x3. Tree is 6" nebari with 2.5" trunk and is 12" tall.

P1010248.jpg P1010249.jpg P1010250.jpg P1010251.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A cute little Chinese elm in a Kurt Heibig pot. Pot is 8" round roots are 4" spread, a 1.5" trunk, and is 8" tall to the actual tree not counting the long shoots.
P1010244.jpg P1010245.jpg P1010246.jpg P1010247.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last here is a ficus, it's in a Smiths pot 8"round. The visible root spread is 3" the left side is buried to try to get some nebari created on that side. 1" trunk, 9" tall. This tree is cuter than it looks, it's just so full of leaves it's hard to see. I have old photos of leafless tree if wished for.
.P1010252.jpgP1010253.jpg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes indeed it is. Most of them are I believe.
Why do they graft the cedar? don't these grow by seed pretty well? Or do they graft the blue cedars onto regular seed cedars?

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Or do they graft the blue cedars onto regular seed cedars?

Yes, this is what they do. The cultivar can only be propagated 100% faithfully by striking cuttings or grafting. Seeds are not a genetic clone, unfortunately. Not everything roots well from cuttings so some desirable cultivars can pretty much only be found as grafted stock.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, this is what they do. The cultivar can only be propagated 100% faithfully by striking cuttings or grafting. Seeds are not a genetic clone, unfortunately. Not everything roots well from cuttings so some desirable cultivars can pretty much only be found as grafted stock.
But why in this case? it looks green like the regular seeded ones.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have to say,

If these get passed over again.

I will be all over that crepe!

I think I may even get to safe grounds to keep em!

Anyone who gets a tree from Judy will find it excellently packed, and obviously healthy!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Judy, what do you do for the Crepe in the winter?

Did you not post it somewhere before?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep it in my cold storage greenhouse, it stays between 28 and 40 or so in there all winter. I did post this earlier this year, but didn't sell the tree, just the pot it was in.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. Was wondering if it was cold hardy. Most of what Ive been reading says they make good indoor trees but doesnt say how winter hardy they are. I was tempted on it the last time you posted it for sale (which is why I remembered it).

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are cold hardy to a point. Don't know what zone you are, but you'd have to do something for it probably. It does freeze, but I don't let it get exposed to single digit temps.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am probably warmer than you. I am zone 7. The articles I was reading said it can be kept indoors but needed 45-50 degrees in winter for dormancy. I can give it colder, down to 30 unless we get a winter like last winter. It would be hard for me to keep it above 45 and below 50.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds like it'd be doable for you with some decent outside protection. Pretty sure they're mostly hardy to zone 7. Never heard of keeping them inside though...

Top Bottom