A crazy deadwood planting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been really interested in planting in rocks lately but have not yet tried deadwood.

This is an old Cedar stump that I found.

I’m hoping these two will merge together in the spring to create something different and interesting.

I treated the wood with wood hardener and I know it won’t last but does anyone have any tips on making it last as long as possible? EFBFACCC-BDB6-4D1F-B7D3-40EFB2CC9DE1.jpeg76292837-489D-4605-BA33-2AF7BAAADC5F.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neither piece needs the other. They are both stand alone beautiful pieces.
That wood stump will last decades unless you merge ii with the tree. Then you will have maybe 3 to 5 years depending on exactly what you intend to do.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neither piece needs the other. They are both stand alone beautiful pieces.
That wood stump will last decades unless you merge ii with the tree. Then you will have maybe 3 to 5 years depending on exactly what you intend to do.
It can always go back in a pot, I appreciate your thoughts though.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Worth the attempt if you ask me!

Wood hardener is def a good solution. A runny super glue could also help. But as you said, plan on it breaking down. Though, if you don’t move it much, it could last longer than expected. Maybe have a pot always at the ready to slip pot in case the stump just crumbles apart mid summer or something.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I’ve been really interested in planting in rocks lately but have not yet tried deadwood.

This is an old Cedar stump that I found.

I’m hoping these two will merge together in the spring to create something different and interesting.

I treated the wood with wood hardener and I know it won’t last but does anyone have any tips on making it last as long as possible? View attachment 461142View attachment 461143
Boat wood hardener

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It could work! creative idea.
Wood hardener seems like the right idea initially, my teacher also espouses using hard clumps of pitch from hardy conifers
like spruce or pine dissolved in rubbing alcohol as a natural hardener/protectant

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Worth the attempt if you ask me!

Wood hardener is def a good solution. A runny super glue could also help. But as you said, plan on it breaking down. Though, if you don’t move it much, it could last longer than expected. Maybe have a pot always at the ready to slip pot in case the stump just crumbles apart mid summer or something.
Thanks, yeah I will have a pot ready when repotting this tree in the spring and see if it would fit and look good with this wood. Im going to look around for a different tree as well as im not convinced yet about this one.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd use that deadwood for an accent planter not with a tree, not because of rot issues (although they are substantial, even the resin hardener isn't going to give much protection beyond five years at the outside). First the deadwood will visually overpower most any tree you put in it. It's a very nice piece of deadwood that "says" a lot on its own. A tree is gilding the lily...The tree will look like an add-on, instead of featured. Second using it as an accent planter (which would use a substantially smaller planting area--carving out a smaller pocket for accent plants on its surface), would reduce the area that would be prone to rot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd use that deadwood for an accent planter not with a tree, not because of rot issues (although they are substantial, even the resin hardener isn't going to give much protection beyond five years at the outside). First the deadwood will visually overpower most any tree you put in it. It's a very nice piece of deadwood that "says" a lot on its own. A tree is gilding the lily...The tree will look like an add-on, instead of featured. Second using it as an accent planter (which would use a substantially smaller planting area--carving out a smaller pocket for accent plants on its surface), would reduce the area that would be prone to rot.
I like that idea too, but for me I just want to see what something like this would look like. Im hoping that the deadwood would almost look like its part of the tree instead of detracting from it. I really just want to create something for my own garden to bring some variety and interest. I am not necessarily intending to show this in the future. Although this is the type of thing I would like to occasionally see at a show, its a nice contrast to brown pot green top, brown pot green top...

Think of it less like bonsai and more like an odd garden feature.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that idea too, but for me I just want to see what something like this would look like. Im hoping that the deadwood would almost look like its part of the tree instead of detracting from it. I really just want to create something for my own garden to bring some variety and interest. I am not necessarily intending to show this in the future. Although this is the type of thing I would like to occasionally see at a show, its a nice contrast to brown pot green top, brown pot green top...

Think of it less like bonsai and more like an odd garden feature.
Using it as an accent planter would make it more of a garden feature than using it as a tree pot. An accent container can be moved around to complement other trees, or as a highlight when the accent is in bloom. It would be a more flexible planting without a tree attached to it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
put the tree on it. It’ll be a fun project and one that can easily be reset if you get tired of it, don’t like the look, or the wood crumbles. But if it looks great in your garden and gives the viewer a visceral reaction good or bad, then that’s also great. a win win if you ask me.

Top Bottom