A date with a 11$ old gold.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You do it. Go to the home improvement store, glance threw the nursery, grab up some plant you don’t need.
I got the cedar 2x4s I needed.

Also nabbed this old gold juniper.
Fun little project
F1FC7157-E663-4CB7-9DFD-A22A506A3F67.jpeg3551E154-8E5D-4AED-AD2C-0865E88AF3E7.jpeg790A598E-2987-4289-898E-EF62213B53F1.jpeg
Stages of cleaning and pruning.

31105A45-6927-4772-9384-AEF37AC22277.jpegFA4D3847-236C-4B6D-84CE-CF21C51A6A54.jpegDEC59774-63DD-4819-AC9F-9406D8847003.jpeg0BBE39BC-2176-4E8A-9C1B-57330A366447.jpeg9A0F1C3B-2F45-4C0D-91DF-F30CC224B84C.jpegFrom this point I decided to Jin the left branch and go for a more asymmetrical /semi windswept look.🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• BE7DB37F-BCE4-4D55-9F92-EEF32029F2F1.jpeg
    BE7DB37F-BCE4-4D55-9F92-EEF32029F2F1.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 2B857A90-DCFC-40D6-B0FD-08BC9B90DF90.jpeg
    2B857A90-DCFC-40D6-B0FD-08BC9B90DF90.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 32

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Eckhoffw i see the start and I can see a tree in there. But I’m about to give you some honest constructive criticism so be advised. At the point you’ve stopped, youve done about 15% of the work needed to set this tree up for a future. You’ve really got to commit to the design and the time it takes to wire out the secondary branching. I see this often in nursery junipers on here. Cut some branches, jin a few. Wire a few and call it good. It’s not near enough, and still just looks like a shrub. You could easily spend 2-3 plus hours just detailing this tree, to not only set it up for its future but to also give you something nice to look at right now. All while removing a safe amount of foliage to keep it alive into next season.

If it were mine I would.

use this angle.
C866829C-ECC3-4F8E-8E71-4FE18D795B91.jpeg
Wire that primary trunk the same as the secondary and introduce movement that mirrors a bit the movement in the secondary trunk.

you have this primary trunk and what could be considered a secondary trunk but just be your defining branch.

Start at the lowest most branch and Wire out all of those little side shoots off the primary trunk and the secondary trunk/defining branch and pull them down and out, making sure each branch has good continuity with the one above it and below, while also making sure you have branching that radiates all the way around the trunk, not just movement to the left and right. Don’t create a 2d image. When your done you should be able to spin the tree on a turn table and have a nice even distribution of branches all the way around.

wire all the way to the tips if you have small enough wire.

When that secondary trunk/defining branch, look at it almost as a second set of branches that need to flow from the primary trunk branches. Down and to the right. That’s your movement. Stick to it.

the apex will be tricky. And it’s a bit tricky to explain a good method. Essentially the top most growing tip, gets wired down and is circled around the top, using the 2nd through 5the branchlet to round out the top and the 6th maybe 7th branchlet down, now becomes the new top most leader.

once you have everything wired you’ll start to see potential other jins to make. Don’t be afraid to remove more branches to balance the design, even if it’s already wired. May also be an opportunity to creat a spiraling Shari as the years move on.

I’m going to do a little sketch that you can use as a template if you’d like, but no biggie if you don’t.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hey @Eckhoffw i see the start and I can see a tree in there. But I’m about to give you some honest constructive criticism so be advised. At the point you’ve stopped, youve done about 15% of the work needed to set this tree up for a future. You’ve really got to commit to the design and the time it takes to wire out the secondary branching. I see this often in nursery junipers on here. Cut some branches, jin a few. Wire a few and call it good. It’s not near enough, and still just looks like a shrub. You could easily spend 2-3 plus hours just detailing this tree, to not only set it up for its future but to also give you something nice to look at right now. All while removing a safe amount of foliage to keep it alive into next season.

If it were mine I would.

use this angle.
View attachment 451205
Wire that primary trunk the same as the secondary and introduce movement that mirrors a bit the movement in the secondary trunk.

you have this primary trunk and what could be considered a secondary trunk but just be your defining branch.

Start at the lowest most branch and Wire out all of those little side shoots off the primary trunk and the secondary trunk/defining branch and pull them down and out, making sure each branch has good continuity with the one above it and below, while also making sure you have branching that radiates all the way around the trunk, not just movement to the left and right. Don’t create a 2d image. When your done you should be able to spin the tree on a turn table and have a nice even distribution of branches all the way around.

wire all the way to the tips if you have small enough wire.

When that secondary trunk/defining branch, look at it almost as a second set of branches that need to flow from the primary trunk branches. Down and to the right. That’s your movement. Stick to it.

the apex will be tricky. And it’s a bit tricky to explain a good method. Essentially the top most growing tip, gets wired down and is circled around the top, using the 2nd through 5the branchlet to round out the top and the 6th maybe 7th branchlet down, now becomes the new top most leader.

once you have everything wired you’ll start to see potential other jins to make. Don’t be afraid to remove more branches to balance the design, even if it’s already wired. May also be an opportunity to creat a spiraling Shari as the years move on.

I’m going to do a little sketch that you can use as a template if you’d like, but no biggie if you don’t.
Thanks a lot for all your input!
I think all your points will help me a great deal, and push me to bring it much further along.
I look forward to the finer wiring at hand, I’ve been getting a little timid when working new plants hard lately as so many of my plants have croaked on me this year! -I attribute this more to the heat waves/ watering issues though. 🤣

I would very much appreciate seeing the sketch you had in mind.
Thanks again. 🙏

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your careful, you shouldn’t have to remove all that much foliage. Here are two quick drawings. one showing what a decent branch layout would look like and how the apex I talked about should work and the other showing, give or take how it will look with foliage. Don’t be afraid to keep it somewhat bushy, just make sure you set you branching where it needs To go. water accordingly through the rest of the summer.
AB31EA34-E56C-4E08-99A9-87B13B494595.jpeg
77B3E7AC-C7E3-4590-85EC-E43B99779CC6.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may be off slightly with branch locations without seeing the tree in person. But you’ve got everything you need. Just take your time and get after it.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Put in another hour of finer wiring thanks to @Hartinez’s insight / motivation.

He’s totally right, I usually stop short of the fine wiring. Probably due to a lack of vision and commitment to a design.
Anyways, I think I will stop at this point as I’m pretty happy with the basic structure and think I’ve messed around the branches enough for now.🤣

The bottom lanky branch will have to be dealt with, but for now I will let it help feed the tree. FD07694A-1567-4727-9C19-372EE521FF31.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Out of its nursery container!
This one got root work and potted up in a deep rectangle today. IMG_0723.jpegIMG_0721.jpegIMG_0722.jpeg

Top Bottom