A day to remember...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I was horrified, and fascinated too: it was the first time since the independance of yhe US that people were killed by an enemy on the mainland."

Sorry, not even remotely true-- War of 1812--claimed thousands of military casualties, as well as civilian. Cities of Washington, Baltimore and others were sacked and burned. Our national anthem was written during the battle of Baltimore.

There are other wars, such as the Mexican American war that involved American citizens and what became American territory, but occurred just before the regions were made states. Pearl Harbor in WW II is in this category. Hawaii was a US Protectorate during that conflict, so it could be argued it was indeed US soil. Other actions, like the bombing of the Murrah building, and other incidents that weren't really part of any armed conflict, have also claimed large numbers of casualties.

Technically, the US Civil War only involved Americans, but at the time, one side was officially from another country--the Confederate States of America. That war, which claimed half a million lives and destroyed half of the country, was the second bloodiest conflict (WW II was the first) in American history.

No, we haven't been subject to the galloping carnage that was so common in Europe for the last 200 years, we have had our share of death and destruction here.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not to diminish your point, but this is a common misconception. At least one instance was in 1916, when German agents blew up an ammo depot on Black Tom Island in New York Harbor, killing a number of people and causing major damage to the Statue of Liberty.

You also forget the war of 1812 when the British sacked Washington DC and invaded New Orleans, and WWII when the Japanese took some of the islands off Alaska. Let's not forget Pearl Harbor.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aside from the towers burning and eventually falling ,the one vivid memory I have from 9/11 is watching the news coverage and seeing people in the Middle East dancing for joy in the streets after hearing the news of the devastation.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
...and WWII when the Japanese took some of the islands off Alaska.

I had never heard of Attu Island until recently, but you know it was a close battle when it devolves into hand-to-hand combat. To be fair to AlainK though, he was only talking about the mainland.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Aside from the towers burning and eventually falling ,the one vivid memory I have from 9/11 is watching the news coverage and seeing people in the Middle East dancing for joy in the streets after hearing the news of the devastation.

Worse yet, people FROM the middle east dancing in the streets in America. I guess it was a good thing I wasn't there, or I would be in prison now. Thinking back on that dreadful time, I doubt if a jury would have convicted me of anything.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little remembered, but bloody battle occurred just off the Eastern seaboard of the US during the early part of the second world war. German U-boats claimed over 2,000 lives sinking supply shipping leaving Eastern seaports bound for the UK. The waters just off of New York proved to be good hunting ground for them, some ships were sunk within sight of Manhattan--with the U boat commanders using the lights from the city to silhouette their target ships at night.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
You also forget the war of 1812 when the British sacked Washington DC and invaded New Orleans, and WWII when the Japanese took some of the islands off Alaska. Let's not forget Pearl Harbor.

Just being picky, but when the British attempted to invade New Orleans, they were massacred by a bunch of Pirates, Blacks, Drunks, Farmers and Crooks, not knowing a treaty had already been signed in England.

keep it green,
Harry

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just being picky, but when the British attempted to invade New Orleans, they were massacred by a bunch of Pirates, Blacks, Drunks, Farmers and Crooks, not knowing a treaty had already been signed in England.

keep it green,
Harry

All of that's true but it still was an invasion on American soil by a foreign power.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"bunch of Pirates, Blacks, Drunks, Farmers and Crooks"

Umm, that sounds like a typical cross section of Americans in the area at the time :).

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
"bunch of Pirates, Blacks, Drunks, Farmers and Crooks"

Umm, that sounds like a typical cross section of Americans in the area at the time :).

About the only thing that's changed is, eliminate the farmers and we could be talking about DC instead of New Orleans today.........:)

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know Klytus---I generally ignore your obtuse attempts at humor, but some of your comments on this thread are downright offensive. 9/11 is an open wound on this country that will never heal.
maybe you should do a little thinking before you press submit.

All Harry was doing was trying to have a little rememberance.

You may be free to say whatever you like, it's an open forum, but that also gives me the right to call BS when I see it.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i don't read Harries crap.

Why would i?

Eight years of Republican trolling was too much,even for Americans.

I don't care much for your vendetta either.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
i don't read Harries crap.

Why would i?

Eight years of Republican trolling was too much,even for Americans.

I don't care much for your vendetta either.

Good, escapees frighten me until they're caught.

keep it green (assuming trolls keep bonsai)
Harry

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not fully explored is the link between Silverstein and the British Taxpayer.

It goes from Silverstein to Lloyds of London then to the British Government and then to British Taxpayer.

From where we are now to where we were then,British Taxpayer furnishes British Government with money,British government furnish Lloyds of London with taxpayers money,Lloyds of London furnish Silverstein with British Taxpayers money,Silverstein invests expecting a return.

They say to follow the money trail.

I made some enquiries as to the validity of such a thing and i wait for replies.

Also whilst 9-11 has bugger all to do with the Great British Public it seems several billion pounds of taxpayers money is siphoned off every year to aid and abett American Republicans and their warmongering.

Several thousand of our boys have been horribly maimed whilst compelled to assist American Republican Warmongers and not a few have perished,not in service to her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth or country but to some repulsive American Republican Warmongerer and their equally odious Democrat cronies.

Meanwhile Freinds and family of those murdered on the 9-11 continue to be stonewalled by the perpetrators,they had a few bucks tossed their way to shut them the hell up.

And now we see a million or so Americans appearing in Washington,are they angry,i'm guessing so.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey BNUT, how much more of this do we have to take from this limey antagonist , Anti-American troll. KK wasn't this bad.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey BNUT, how much more of this do we have to take from this limey antagonist , Anti-American troll. KK wasn't this bad.

keep it green,
Harry

Oh leave the poor little Brits alone Harry. They've only got a few short years left before they'll be bowing to Mecca.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It may be a little while yet before Justice is seen to be done,and you still have the death penalty for treason.

It's not likely many media pundits would risk their jobs calling for the execution of traitors,calling for the execution of innocents isn't a problem for them though.

Indeed,it's what they are well paid for.

Another money trail.

Top Bottom