A definition of stupidity....

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Taking cuttings from a pine?
I wonder how he came up there without any safety gear and other equipment.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why did this fool think he needed a cutting from this particular tree? It's most likely the same lineage as the pines on safer parts of the mountain. Just because it growing in a spectacular location doesn't mean it has significant genetic characteristics and variation. It's simply luck of the draw it's seed landed where it did.

Also, doing such stupid SH#@ could kill it (as well as the moron on it) if it breaks. Flopping your body across a length of pine stuck out into space is the stuff of cartoons. This guy's middle name is "Wile E." as in MEEP MEEP, dumbass....

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eeeeesh he is not tied on to anything! I don’t know how steep the fall is but looks like he‘d at least be going for a long and painful roll if he slipped. Reminds me of that trend years ago of people hanging off buildings with one hand to get a „daring“ selfie.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I'll defend the guy.

$50 says he's no more than 10ft/3m off the ground. I can get you 30 equally impressive but still perfectly safe shots in a 1 hour outing.

It's the third pic in the set that gives it away. It's from a different angle, meaning the cameraman is several steps to the right from where the other shots were taken. Look at the bush that appears to be near the base of the tree, and the other tree that takes up the right hand side of the frame. There's apparently allot more room to move around up there than the first two pics seem to imply, and likely only a short drop to a steep but relatively safe incline.
As far as the tree's strength is concerned, look at the trunk diameter relative to his foot. It's as thick as his foot is long. Plenty strong enough to hold his weight.

I don't have the photos any more, and not allot of friends who can keep up with me on the trail now days, but I've taken similar shots in the past from little more than an arm's length away that make someone appear 20ft/6m up a rock face when in reality they're standing next to the cliff on a rock that's no more than knee high.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just for fun, which bottle is larger?
IMG_20230328_001608_449.jpg
My phone has a pretty crappy camera, so not too much of a challenge, but I think you'll still be surprised when I post the answer in the morning.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just for fun, which bottle is larger?
View attachment 478846
My phone has a pretty crappy camera, so not too much of a challenge, but I think you'll still be surprised when I post the answer in the morning.
the photo isnt straight.

the yellow bottle appears to be in the foreground, and the shadow confirms it, the pink bottle is way up against the wall

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eeeeesh he is not tied on to anything! I don’t know how steep the fall is but looks like he‘d at least be going for a long and painful roll if he slipped. Reminds me of that trend years ago of people hanging off buildings with one hand to get a „daring“ selfie.
There's actually a whole hobby dedicated to this sort of risk taking... it was just trendy for a bit and thus popped up a lot. Rest assured that there are still idiots hanging off skyscrapers fot views

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the photo isnt straight.

the yellow bottle appears to be in the foreground, and the shadow confirms it, the pink bottle is way up against the wall
You're right, but I bet it'll still surprise you.
IMG_20230328_002334_382.jpg
The yellow bottle is a toy half the size of my thumb.
IMG_20230328_002146_514.jpg

So the real question here is, "how do we force perspective on a bonsai?"

Anyone have any good examples?
And this was exactly what I was thinking the whole time!

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You're right, but I bet it'll still surprise you.
View attachment 478943
The yellow bottle is a toy half the size of my thumb.
... I don't know... at this point I think that you are a giant and also have a custom 12" lighter made for giants. You just happen to be holding a bottle of nes-quick

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@ShadyStump awesome, what i win? bragging rights? that chuffed feeling that i knew something that one day?
How about both?

... I don't know... at this point I think that you are a giant and also have a custom 12" lighter made for giants. You just happen to be holding a bottle of nes-quick
Dude, I ain't short, but I ain't THAT tall!

Top Bottom