A favorite from recent firings.

Roy Minarai

Sapling
Reaction score
0B00F45F-EFB5-45EA-A961-08EB2D548381.jpegHaven’t made many pots this summer, busy with therapy with our daughter and the shohin show in June. Here’s one I loved as soon as I pulled it from the kiln! Hope everyone’s summer is going well, fall will be here soon!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I love the work that you do Roy. This one is a stunner. I was also really taken with the wave-like crescent you posted on Instagram lately. You work keeps getting better and better!

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Very yummy.
I'm curious if you can do this kind of glaze in purples/reds instead of blues. Is it possible?
Reds and purples are hard colors to pull off in high fired ceramics. They have a tendency to burn out. I've used one glaze that is a copper based purple that is fairly reliable at cone 10 reduction. Red can be achieved with copper or iron, but iron is more a rust red (big surprise) and the copper red (more burgundy) can sometimes flash green if there is any oxygen that contacts it at some point in the process (when, I'm not sure). Here are examples of the copper purple. Not exactly what you'd call a strong purple though (not my favorite).

IMG_7101.JPGIMG_7064.JPG

@Roy Minarai , the blues on your pot are incredible. Are you doing cone 6 or 10? The results are fantastic.

Roy Minarai

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks G2, the are cone 10. Here are a few purple and red pots. The colors, while not the easiest, are achievable on there own- I guess I was thinking of an oribe style (like the blue/green) in a mix of red and purple. That would be pretty hard to get, I think?257007257009

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thanks G2, the are cone 10. Here are a few purple and red pots. The colors, while not the easiest, are achievable on there own- I guess I was thinking of an oribe style (like the blue/green) in a mix of red and purple. That would be pretty hard to get, I think?View attachment 257007View attachment 257009
That red is great. Love the blue too, but I’ve never gotten a red like that before, so naturally am attracted to it. I’ve collected chawan for years, and oribe is my favorite style. I’m only familiar with green and kuro oribe. Purple or red would really put a twist on the traditional. Would you do a copper glaze in reduction on that? Hmmm. It’s a thought.

Here was my attempt at doing an oribe feel on bonsai pots. Not there yet but working on it. Needs more drip to feel like oribe. These are a little stiff in my opinion. A391664B-D622-4C7F-93AE-4A47111826DA.jpegD23BD61F-5131-4356-99E8-CD4D3F77396E.jpeg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You just aged yourself something terrible.
It should be more like Heidi Klum and a Hellcat.
Maybe just the Hellcat.
I really need to drive a Hellcat.
And I'm a dyed in the wool Chevy guy.

.....it's ok....I ain't ever getting any of these things....
:(:D😄

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me neither unless I resort to a life of crime as my retirement plan.
Then the sky's the limit.
I don't think I could steal Heidi but the Hellcat would still be on the table.

Top Bottom