A few collecting timing questions

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
OK, thanks all. Just was trying to get an idea when it would be best to dig these trees up out of my yard.
I would reccomend the best time to be just before the buds start to swell and the tree begins the spring growth. From my experience tree can be collected in the fall and late summer successfully but they respond better after collection in early spring. i believe this is because they are just entering a growth season that aids in more rapid root recovery than during a slow or dormant period.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would reccomend the best time to be just before the buds start to swell and the tree begins the spring growth. From my experience tree can be collected in the fall and late summer successfully but they respond better after collection in early spring. i believe this is because they are just entering a growth season that aids in more rapid root recovery than during a slow or dormant period.
Ever collected in summer, like August?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ever collected in summer, like August?
Yes I have. It works in certain geographic and climatic conditions. However I have found that it depends on the site and specifics of the area. I still consistently get the best results for most types of trees in early spring. It should be noted that i have only collected conifers and i am am talking about yamadori from wilderness conditions. Every year varies with snow levels, spring rains, summer heat etc.
For example Shore Pine collected in bogs are fine in late summer early fall if the weather conditions have been favourable. IE : dry and hot for some time. And they are more difficult to collect in early spring simply due to water levels in the bogs!
Wild trees are rarely in great health or growing in ideal conditions, therefore collecting them at the best timing according to local conditions and providing proper aftercare seems to net the best results.
Serious collectors check their collecting areas frequently and proceed according to specific local conditions.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Late winter when buds swell seems to be about the best time, overall, to collect most species. Live oaks are tricky to lift successfully, at least over here. Maples are a snap. Not sure about podocarpus.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
still can't find answers on Podos I have one at work I am going to collect. Already cut it to 16 inches tall and root pruned it some.
In doubt wait until spring.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok, well that's only like 4 months away here :)
Hey c'mon. How can you just publicly state that! There is people here who just had their 4 months of not-winter!
I for one am staring down the barrel of .. 6 months till budbreak.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Hey c'mon. How can you just publicly state that! There is people here who just had their 4 months of not-winter!
I for one am staring down the barrel of .. 6 months till budbreak.
just the way it is here :) Its usually short pants weather by late February. I know this past year I had Bald Cypress flushing out and had to treat the dogs for fleas. Really early for that.

Top Bottom