A few displays at the BIB show, 2016

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Nice trees!

The edge of the light blue material is very distracting to my eye in every picture...could be easily fixed and vastly improve the overall look.

Adair...your trees need to be flip flopped so they keep your eye within the display...as it is now the heavy deadwood leads you right out of the display to the left...beautiful tree in bloom!

As far as the carving goes...I think you did very well for a first effort. Do you know the work of Will Baddelly(sp?)...he is in The UK and does some absolutely great carving work on deciduous trees...elms come to mind. I don't have a direct link to any of his work but I really think it would work well with Ume....worth a look as you think about doing some more detail work on this tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the wonderful photos Adair, hoping to see more! :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice trees!

The edge of the light blue material is very distracting to my eye in every picture...could be easily fixed and vastly improve the overall look.

Adair...your trees need to be flip flopped so they keep your eye within the display...as it is now the heavy deadwood leads you right out of the display to the left...beautiful tree in bloom!

As far as the carving goes...I think you did very well for a first effort. Do you know the work of Will Baddelly(sp?)...he is in The UK and does some absolutely great carving work on deciduous trees...elms come to mind. I don't have a direct link to any of his work but I really think it would work well with Ume....worth a look as you think about doing some more detail work on this tree.
John,

I was surprised when Boon wanted to set it up like this. He was saying the flow of the Ume is to the tight because the flowers move to the right. The flowers are much more prominent in person than in a photo.

But, it's Boon's show...

Personally, I don't think it's refined enough yet. But, the flowers are spectacular, as you know, and the tree doesn't look very good when not in bloom... So, we showed it.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say "thank-you!" for posting....I appreciate to be able to see things I can't physically get to.
I'm not a fan of round pots on square stands but because of inventory you do what you can. And i understand that....

My biggest quandry was the use of sky blue base color? Why....Usually blue is used in display to indicate water, but nothing related to that need? meaning the species of tree or companion plant. maybe it was something made available and was accepted for no other reason than to have something to contrast with....understandable . Always curious as to the why. My smallest quandry was photo five wheve both trees seem to have their backs turned on one another....please accept my comments as not critical, only pointing out opportunities for Discussion and learning.....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let me be the first to say "thank-you!" for posting....I appreciate to be able to see things I can't physically get to.
I'm not a fan of round pots on square stands but because of inventory you do what you can. And i understand that....

My biggest quandry was the use of sky blue base color? Why....Usually blue is used in display to indicate water, but nothing related to that need? meaning the species of tree or companion plant. maybe it was something made available and was accepted for no other reason than to have something to contrast with....understandable . Always curious as to the why. My smallest quandry was photo five wheve both trees seem to have their backs turned on one another....please accept my comments as not critical, only pointing out opportunities for Discussion and learning.....
I agree with the round pot, square stand comment. We may have run out of round stands...

Boon has used the blue felt for the display for a couple years. Its traditional that there's a contrast between the backdrop and the surface of the table. If not sky blue, what color would you prefer?

Setting up for a show of this size and quality is not a simple affair. It takes us a full day to set up the tables, the backdrops, the tablecloths, then place the trees, stands, accent plants... And it's not inexpensive to rent the venue, the trucks, catering, etc to make it all happen. There were at least 75 trees, all were fully mossed, pots oiled, appropriate stands chosen, matched with accessory plants...

It's an unbelievable amount of hard work.

Quite frankly, I am honored to even being allowed to participate and have trees considered to be worthy enough to show.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I was surprised when Boon wanted to set it up like this. He was saying the flow of the Ume is to the tight because the flowers move to the right. The flowers are much more prominent in person than in a photo.
So, was the arrangement negotiated at all, would you have switched them, or was it simply:
it's Boon's show...
---edit, I see this was discussed in your other thread about the tree----

The Cedar and zelkova(?); last image of post 1 seem backwards too.
I think your trees look good, the JRP is interesting, and the timing of your Ume is perfect; definitely overcomes it's early stage of refinement.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do agree that the edge toward the camera of the blue felt is distracting. I would suggest either to steam that edge after it's laid out for a while, or wet it and lay something on it till it dries to make it lay flat. Other thing to try would be to get some wooden slat to lay on the edge, it would make a frame appearance.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah....hard work....and Boon is just sitting there....lol....just sitting around!

Interesting Dick brings up that photo with the trees "away" from each other too.

I really like both trees in the 4th.
What are those? Red pine? ?

Thanks for the peeky!
I would have been patting that runner down, trying to tidy it....ANAL!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah....hard work....and Boon is just sitting there....lol....just sitting around!

Interesting Dick brings up that photo with the trees "away" from each other too.

I really like both trees in the 4th.
What are those? Red pine? ?

Thanks for the peeky!
I would have been patting that runner down, trying to tidy it....ANAL!

Sorce
Boon just sitting around?

Sorce, you have a perverted view of the world!

No, Boon stresses over pretty much every detail of the show. I suggest that it is my photography that makes the edge of the blue felt cloth apparent. You don't notice it in person. At least, I don't.

Brian, Boon has set up the very best bonsai shows in Japan. The whole process is a "negotiation"! A negotiation of what trees to show, which table shows which tree, which stand to use, for two point and three point displays, which secondary trees and accessories to use... And then after several iterations, he goes through and figures out that one row has too many pines, we have to rearrange it all over again!

The Ume got moved to three different tables, three different accessory plants and jittas were considered.

24 displays were designed in one room housing the "larger" trees, 48 displays in the other room with the smaller trees.

Yes, everyone plays a part, everyone helps out, everyone puts a touch of their own artistry into the displays. But, if you were to close your eyes and listen, you would hear the words "Boon? What do you think about...?" Repeated constantly on Friday, from 9 am when we start to pack the trucks up until 8 pm when we HAVE to leave. It's amazing the man can do it year after year.

Last year was my first opportunity to participate in the show. Everything was a blur: there was so much to do, I just did what I was told. This year I had a clue of what all needed to be done, so I didn't have to be told, just did it. But the enormity of the whole process is amazing.

For fun, I'll go and count how many trees there are on display today. There's lots of two and three point displays.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boon just sitting around?

Sorce, you have a perverted view of the world!

Lol I was just kidding! It looks like he is taking a well deserved rest, with concern on his face that the show is going smooth. No way in Hell I'd not have the utmost respect for a dude who does and cares so much. Boon is a righteous dude!
aviary-image-1453648045058.jpeg

Perverted would be talking about how I want to be that chair! Lol!

Seriously, this is the oddest negative space in a tree I have ever seen.

Sorce

Top Bottom