A few field grown honeysuckles

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Long straight internodes need to be dealt with constantly by not allowing any over some length in your mind's eye. Pick a length and enforce it, always. Wire when thin & small for architecture, or else. Do not allow clusters of buds at internodes which become dogbones.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Long straight internodes need to be dealt with constantly by not allowing any over some length in your mind's eye. Pick a length and enforce it, always. Wire when thin & small for architecture, or else. Do not allow clusters of buds at internodes which become dogbones.

I think the biggest challenge is going to be just keeping on top of them, given their prolific growth. I’ve seen what you mean about the clusters as well- great for options of rebuilding, but I can see how terrible it can become.
One year max age for wiring? I’m hoping to wire them down for form and then get to the point where I can just maintenance prune for shape

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I gave up on Lonicera japonica, it refused to ramify branches. Any branch that had developed some twiggyness, the trunk would sprout a sucker near it and withdraw support for the twiggy branch. It consistently "dropped" twiggy branches in favor of young sucker like sprouts from the trunk. You might be able to avoid this problem, but it is one to keep an eye on.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gave up on Lonicera japonica, it refused to ramify branches. Any branch that had developed some twiggyness, the trunk would sprout a sucker near it and withdraw support for the twiggy branch. It consistently "dropped" twiggy branches in favor of young sucker like sprouts from the trunk. You might be able to avoid this problem, but it is one to keep an eye on.
Great to know. Frustrating too

Top Bottom