A few more larch

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The fused brick larch and the ceramic sculpture larch are ready for pot design/sizing--both thinned and wired. Blue tray larch is ready for the year--her top seems overly extended but it looks good in leaf. The boxed one (called pig-larch) was rough styled for a future open Seversonian style--the lower branch will go in time and the top will just be rammed in to an open canopy--it will look better in 10 yrs.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 101

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really really been digging these images!

Thanks a lot!

Sorce

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
where did you get your larch and how long have they been in training? just curious

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
also, do you have a good supplier for interesting rocks? your backyard perhaps?

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
where did you get your larch and how long have they been in training? just curious
I have collected larch on and off for over 30 years--mostly from swamps. I have also been blessed to adopt a bunch of Nick Lenz larch prizes and rejects. I was also given a bushy larch from Norbilly Dave from Dulute' after I coveted it--it was a mowed ditch larch. I have grown some in the ground, in big nursery pots, some on top of rocks, carburetors and ceramic heads--it keeps me out of the bar.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crust, I must admit, I missed these the first time around because I don't look at larch threads simply out of jealousy. Larch, to me, are one of the iconic bonsai species, like trident maples and JBP. . . . And I can't grow them (and am not willing to move to somewhere that I can).

I'm sorry I missed these. I like all of them, but I am really feeling the first one (ceramic sculpture?). It is indeed very Lenz-esque, and it is truly a piece of art because it moved me emotionally. This may not be what you had in mind, but this is what I see in this planting:

"I was born in the Rust Belt. From conception, I was destined to be the hard-working American who manufactured this simple, but integral, part. And I did so with pride for most of my life. But times have changed, and no one needs this part anymore. No one needs me."

This tree is overwhelmingly sad, and it brings a tear to my eye. I feel it. Simply spectacular art!

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Wow! Inspirational, beautiful. Sitting here in SoCal...I actually got a chill admiring these trees;). Thank you!!

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Crust, I must admit, I missed these the first time around because I don't look at larch threads simply out of jealousy. Larch, to me, are one of the iconic bonsai species, like trident maples and JBP. . . . And I can't grow them (and am not willing to move to somewhere that I can).

I'm sorry I missed these. I like all of them, but I am really feeling the first one (ceramic sculpture?). It is indeed very Lenz-esque, and it is truly a piece of art because it moved me emotionally. This may not be what you had in mind, but this is what I see in this planting:

"I was born in the Rust Belt. From conception, I was destined to be the hard-working American who manufactured this simple, but integral, part. And I did so with pride for most of my life. But times have changed, and no one needs this part anymore. No one needs me."

This tree is overwhelmingly sad, and it brings a tear to my eye. I feel it. Simply spectacular art!
What an amazing story of the brightness of ascension and the gloom of ruin and collapse, built all upon the mechanisms of our world. I can clearly see this in the piece now: the regular man, once riding on the peak of technology, only finds that he has been abandoned there and what was once a steadfast stead has become a degrading artifice, cracked and abandoned, rotting from underneath him, he clings in decrepity. I feel honored it invokes these shadows and feel a connection to you. perhaps it should be called, Deindustrialized Larch

Top Bottom