A few of my tiny azaleas bloomed!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
And they're too cute not to share. They are the first azaleas I've had any success with. I've only tried big box store ones and propagating the bushes in my yard, with zero success.

I tried identifying them using the azalea picture ID thread, but if I'm wrong please let me know.

This guy was sold to me as a Satsuki.

20210525_201959.jpg

This one the seller didn't know. The bloom looks like Momo No Haru, but the leaves look pointier and shorter to me.

20210531_121050.jpg20210603_101830.jpg

This one he also wasn't sure of. Looks closest to Waka Ebisu.

20210603_101546.jpg20210603_101550.jpg

I have one more that I'll post up next time I'm home taking pictures.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is one of the first lessons azalea people learn.... find the identity of the azalea, otherwise accept that you are gonna be happy with a pretty flowered bonsai. A satsuki (the main type for bonsai) or any other type of azalea are most valuable when it is named and bred true to type.... and of course, styled well!

Most reputable sellers will identify their azalea, otherwise the price should reflect an unknown type.

Your best bet is to go back to the seller with your trees and ask the identity. Otherwise there are literally thousands of different typesof mazaleas and over 2000 registered satsuki, many red, salmon, etc..

Recently I went had to go back to an expert, reputable grower of azaleas who had sold me an azalea that was obviously not what it was advertised as. He went back through his breeding stock, which were in flower luckily, and identified the azalea. However it will take 16 months to grow out the one I asked for now.....

That said

The first one looks like a Kinsai, which is a satsuki.... in fact it looks like all of your acquisitions are satsuki. It could be a few other cultivars, but from the photo, that my best guess. One not on tiphis cultivar. If any flower blooms that look like a normal bloom, immediately cut off the bloom when it’s near finished in the older wood below the flower. Do not propagate from this area either. This will keep the cultivar true to type.

The second cultivar I don’t know right off. Let’s see if these are the only color blooms and please measure the bloom size. It looks like Kazan leaves, which are much rarer, yet all your trees are so you that the leaf shape is still indeterminate.

The third isn’t Wakaebisu, which is a hose in hose, which has a second row of petals. Yours is a single and from the looks of it will have multiple colored bloom patterns.

There is a photo of Wakeaebisu below.

That said, these all look like fun types of satsuki to make into bonsai! They are all at the stage where anything’s possible.
cheers
DSD sends
39A88E6F-0B21-4498-8C54-7D138282E986.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
accept that you are gonna be happy with a pretty flowered bonsai.

I'm more than okay with that. I honestly don't want to go back to the seller, so I'll take the best guesses we can.

in fact it looks like all of your acquisitions are satsuki.

Oh interesting. I didn't realize satsuki contained such a wide variety of cultivars within it. I'm still very, very much in the learning stage for azaleas.

One not on tiphis cultivar. If any flower blooms that look like a normal bloom

Not sure I understand this part at all. Can you elaborate a little?

please measure the bloom size

I'll do this and snap some more photos when I'm home later. Thanks for all the great info!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kinsei flowers have two forms. A normal flower petal form and strap like blooms. You want to cut off the normal petal blooms or they will eventually take over the tree.

I’ve seen a fine old big Kinsai Bonsai go out of type because the caregivers neglected to prune off the rounded flower stems.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bloom sizes. About 1 1/2" for the dark pink and 2 1/2" for the light variegated one.

20210604_103620.jpg20210604_103552.jpg

This is the last one, which looks like the same as the dark pink in the rectangular pot. It hasn't shown me a bloom yet.

20210604_103638.jpg

I'm so in love with this variegated pink I had to take a video. Hope it works!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really nice, I’m a bit stumped for these two.

Let these grow out for a year and let’s take another look when the plants have more flowers and fuller growth. You will have lots of fun this year learning the horticultural aspects of growing these plants out throughout the year, especially during the winter.

cheers
DSD sends

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice, especially that last one!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pictures are terrible I know, but I am so far behind today I shouldn't even be here. The azaleas here are from Riverbend Gardens in NH, so they are very hardy for my area. Azaleas are healthy, in 4" pots and are only $12 each. With shipping they are closer to $16-$18. All but one of these are named satsuki. Small company, not a lot of selection, but I am going to keep buying from him because service and location are so good and quality of plants is excellent. Six of these just came out of the box. Four came last week.
IMG_4825.JPGIMG_4826.JPG

IMG_4827.JPGIMG_4828.JPG
IMG_4829.JPGIMG_4830.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Pictures are terrible I know, but I am so far behind today I shouldn't even be here. The azaleas here are from Riverbend Gardens in NH, so they are very hardy for my area. Azaleas are healthy, in 4" pots and are only $12 each. With shipping they are closer to $16-$18. All but one of these are named satsuki. Small company, not a lot of selection, but I am going to keep buying from him because service and location are so good and quality of plants is excellent. Six of these just came out of the box. Four came last week.
View attachment 378991View attachment 378992

View attachment 378993View attachment 378994
View attachment 378995View attachment 378996
Just received a notification UPS delivered my box this afternoon. Can't wait to open it!!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like that Kimi Maru a lot!
…. And sadly it’s out of stock! Back to mixing media!
Best
DSD sends
…maybe we can trade some cuttings when it gets a bit bigger?

Last edited:

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rukizan = Kazan in Japan. If labeled correctly is one of the real dwarfs in Satsuki land!

btw Just received a really nice Satsuki from Riverbend Gardens too…. Kongo no Hikati. A real crackerjack azalea and nicely pruned already.

Cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 380224
View attachment 380225
oooooh I like that color combo!

Top Bottom