A few photos...

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A few more...
California juniper, Prostrata juniper, and a Satsuki azalea.

Hello Si,

Seeing your trees reminds me of why I fell in love with azaleas, I now have 4 really nice trees
which will need some wiring next spring... Your azalea is really awesome... Got to love that nebari...

Best regards,
Rishi.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I thought I had a lot of trees but you beat me. You have more beautiful specimen trees than I have potensia. The landscaping looks very finished to me. If it has a barbecue then its finished, right?

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments guys:)

Hey Jason, were you the one who sent me a larch a while back? Is there another Jason into bonsai in Oregon? I still have it! Haven't done anything to it yet. You're right about the BBQ. When that part got done, all the work stopped.:)

Rishi, if you need help or just want to work on trees together, come to our study group sometime.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for all your comments guys:)

Hey Jason, were you the one who sent me a larch a while back? Is there another Jason into bonsai in Oregon? I still have it! Haven't done anything to it yet. You're right about the BBQ. When that part got done, all the work stopped.:)

Rishi, if you need help or just want to work on trees together, come to our study group sometime.

Thanks Si, please let name know when you guys meet and I'll be there
I will sure need help because I don't want to mess up my azaleas mainly.
I can post a couple pictures of my azaleas that need working if it's ok with you?
Thanks,
Rishi.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a lot of trees to care for! And yet they all look happy....
REally nice birch, I've always wanted to do one, yours has some nice white bark. Is it japanese whitespire?
Beautiful garden.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your thread really made my day. Thanks. Your backyard is as awesome as your tree collection. (Can't say that about your sissy dog that won't even walk on grass). I did see about six square inches of free space... room for one more tree.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
His yard is so nice you can barbecue and work on your bonsai at the same time :)

You remember what my yard used to look like. I was a hoarder. Never saw a stick that was not a future masterpiece. I sold or gave away almost half of my trees to make room for the barbecue.:D

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Your thread really made my day. Thanks. Your backyard is as awesome as your tree collection. (Can't say that about your sissy dog that won't even walk on grass). I did see about six square inches of free space... room for one more tree.

Thanks for your comment Barry. Yep, she's a sissy and a princess and she knows it. At least she's potty trained. I do have a little side yard for some growing ground that has a few inches left. It is time for another nursery crawl.:cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 28

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That is a lot of trees to care for! And yet they all look happy....
REally nice birch, I've always wanted to do one, yours has some nice white bark. Is it japanese whitespire?
Beautiful garden.

Hi Judy, it's a European white birch for sure. I bought it at a regular nursery in 1995. Is a Japanese whitespire a variety or cultivar of some birch? Sounds interesting I should look for it. Mine has super white bark and really small leaves. They do very well in my zone and I see them in front yards everywhere, but I don't know why we rarely see them as bonsai. Here's some pics from a few weeks ago. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 20

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Si, please let name know when you guys meet and I'll be there
I will sure need help because I don't want to mess up my azaleas mainly.
I can post a couple pictures of my azaleas that need working if it's ok with you?
Thanks,
Rishi.

No problem, will do, but I am no azalea experts. I have killed a few nice one, and you will too. Around here, Ben Oki is one of the best. He's still teaching at a local club in Santa Ana (Satsuki Bonsai Club ) that meets on the first Sunday morning of the month. Near Westminster and Harbor, at a Vietnamese Buddhist temple. You should join that club too, might as well, since you seem to be in the joining mood:)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You remember what my yard used to look like. I was a hoarder. Never saw a stick that was not a future masterpiece. I sold or gave away almost half of my trees to make room for the barbecue.:D

Now I know who you are- I even mad a little contribution towards the bar-b-que.!!!:)

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Now I know who you are- I even mad a little contribution towards the bar-b-que.!!!:)

He he he:), no, yours was a big contribution;) Thanks!!!
Do you still have any of those trees? If you work on them, please share here. I'd love to see how you do them.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I recently cleaned up and wired the Japanese Black Pine I'll post a picture later. The giant Olive is going to be awesome if I ever find the time to do the carving. I think I pretty much sold the others.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bob, those are the 2 trees that I would love to see again! I have a cool sketch for that olive , so I will compare it with your artistic vision once you're done with it in a few years.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here's the pine. Nothing drastic.
file-103.jpg
[/IMG]

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Impressive. Love the base on the JBP.
Japanese Whitespire is a culivar, that has very white bark. Problem is they are very susceptible to borers, so they are not long lived. As bonsai, I don't know, but yours is sweet, and nice teensy leaves.
thanks for the additional photos.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for sharing Si....very very nice set up.......I envy your climate too :eek:
I've collected a few ditchadori birch and am trying to determine if they are native or nursery imports pioneering our roadways like scotch brrom and other non-natives. I think the leaves would shrink nicely when potted up.

Cheers G

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's the pine. Nothing drastic.
file-103.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow! That's good work! I like what you did to it. Did you take a before picture? Was the root ball healthy when you worked on it to get it into that pot. That's the first bonsai pot for this old tree.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here's the earliest picture I can find, but this is after it's first pruning last Feburary.
The roots were pretty good, enough to get them into this pot.
file-104.jpg
[/IMG]

Top Bottom