USDA Zone
Nice trees. The first is really a winner

Reactions: Vin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn Vin.!

Definitely progressing. Good photos too!

I like the ilex best, though I'd like to see those straightish 4 branches get about half as long.

Also, I have been looking for some spirea japonica with trunk, because the leaves I've seen 1/4in or less!

Can you please share your take on Spirea. Pros cons. Notes. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good Vin. The pot on the rosemary is super. What spirea is that one? The boxwood is coming along nicely.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can you please share your take on Spirea. Pros cons. Notes. Thoughts?
The “Gold Mound” Spirea was a surprise find at the local nursery (I have two of them). As you can see, for the most part it was just a bunch of twigs in a pot. Once I got it out of the pot and exposed some of the trunk it really began to interest me. From the get-go I pruned back about 75 percent of the roots and a ton of branches. I wanted to see what they could take and let me say they can take about whatever you can dish out.

However, they’re not perfect. New branches start off okay but as they harden off they get quite thin and wispy. Also, I’m continuously rubbing off new buds; they’re relentless.

Pests: I have not had to spray my Spirea for a single insect yet. Out of the 150 or so plants I have, it’s the only ones I can say that about. I'm going to buy a few more if I can find some interesting ones.

I plan on getting it out of the training pot in the spring when I find a nice glazed pot for it. Hope this helps.

Here are some progression photos. I wish I had taken some shots of the flowers.

As Purchased:

As Purchased.jpg

Repot:

Spirea Repot.jpg

New Spring Growth:

Spirea Spring Growth.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I second that, nice work and excellent photos.

Jamie

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, last night I had a chance to discuss with Jim VanLandingham the future of my Spirea (some of you I'm sure know Jim). There was a branch behind the tree (in red) that I was eventually either going to remove or bring it way over to the left. He felt it added nothing to the tree and we decided to remove it. Also, in blue is another branch he felt if removed would benefit the tree. That one we decided would stay for now and be removed in the spring.

As he continued to evaluate the tree we talked about the canopy width and pot size. I thought both the canopy and pot were a little too wide for the trunk size. He disagreed and talked me into leaving both the way they are. However, it will be repotted into a much shallower pot (about half the height of the current one) and will not be planted so high as well. I'm thinking about a light green pot.
Overall he said the tree was "really cool" and the rest of the club agreed. I was just happy to know the work that I have done so far was exactly what was needed to move the tree to the next level. It’s by no means a spectacular tree but it did get a lot of “Oohs and Aahs” because of the showy early fall colors. It seems several members would like to have one now. It was a good night. :D

Spiraea japonica September 2015.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome pot!

Thanks for sharing your photos! You have so many great starts that will only get better with work, love, and time!

Keep it up!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Morten Albek has lots of great material like this that he has developed over time. I would use some of his trees for inspiration!

Top Bottom