A few questions about a tree I purchased this week.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I purchased this tree at a local nursery. I have been looking for a hinoki cypress for a long time and the guy said it was a cryptomera. I think he was wrong. My ope is that it was a Hinoki Cypress. What do you guys think? So far, I have cleaned up quite a bit of dead and a few small branches and potted the tree. Soon I will begin wiring. Should I trim away the low (large) limb. Removing it shows the movement in the low part of the main trunk. Leaving it helps create a tringular shape. Thanks for the responses.

IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yes, is Chamaecyparis probably some Obtusa cultivar, check very good the soil and how good it drains

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah! That looks just like my Feather Leaf Hinoki. They're kind of an uncommon variety, but I've been very happy with mine for about 10yrs or so. If you just repotted it I would leave it alone for at least one full year. A couple if you can keep your hands off it. They're beautiful when the stems grow out into long fronds that look like feathers.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ah! That looks just like my Feather Leaf Hinoki. They're kind of an uncommon variety, but I've been very happy with mine for about 10yrs or so. If you just repotted it I would leave it alone for at least one full year. A couple if you can keep your hands off it. They're beautiful when the stems grow out into long fronds that look like feathers.
Thanks. Are you saying no wire?

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Only one offense per year to a tree. Since you repotted this year leave it alone till at least next year to wire. Personally I'd wait two years.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Rather than cut off the low limb, I'd just shorten it to where it starts heading vertical.

Top Bottom