A few questions about caring after a Yamadori tree

The Oak

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi people, I decided to go Yamadori hunting and get myself a tree from the woods here in Eastern Europe.
I would like to know a few things in advance.

1. Can I place the freshly harvested Yamadori tree directly in a small and shallow Bonsai pot? Or do I have to first nurse it for a few years in a deep pot/wooden box?
2. In case that the tree must be placed in a deep pot first, what kind of soil should I use? Do I plant it directly in non-nutritious Bonsai mix of lava rocks and baked clay, or could regular potting soil be an option as well? Or do I just collect soil from the place the tree was harvested at and use that?
3. What species are your favorite Yamadori trees and why? What tips can you give me? For example: where to look for stunted dwarf trees, etc.

Thanks!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is possible to place a collected tree straight into a bonsai tray but that is not recommended as it is much more difficult and failure rate will be high. Larger containers will give much better results.
Everyone has their own special mix for collected trees and each will tell you theirs is the best or even the only one that is suitable. A many of those people are successful you can infer that there are many possible soil mixes that can work. The mix I use for all my potted trees works well for me in my conditions so I also use it for collected trees and have good results.

Some collectors swear that retaining the original soil is important. Others, including myself, have found that field soil causes problems when it is used in pots so I prefer to shake of as much field soil as will easily come off the roots and plant into good potting soil.

Favorite species will vary from place to place because different species grow in different areas. The trees that grow in Eastern Europe are probably not the same as grow here in Southern Australia. I mostly collect feral weed species here - olives, hawthorn, pine, cotoneaster, privet are some. I prefer to eave native species alone so as to not damage our fragile native ecosystem.

Stunted specimens are where you find them. Areas where grazing is prevalent can be good. Sometimes that is in wild areas where wild deer, etc trim the trees, sometimes you can find good trees in farm land where cows r sheep do the work.
Harsh climate areas are another place to look. High mountains, rivers that flood regularly, rocky hillsides with poor soil, windy or coastal areas are all places that limit tree growth so the trees tend to be smaller. You will generally have to look much harder in deep forest because smaller trees are protected and grow tall quick to reach light.

You will probably find that you can get much better advice if you change your profile to include a location. 'Eastern Europe' is a big place and covers many different climates so any advice given will be general rather tan specific to your conditions until you can give better location info.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1. Small and shallow Bonsai pot? You will want to grow better roots (nebari) and create taper (trunk chops) > big pot.
2. Deep pot first, what kind of soil should I use? I prefer pond baskets, cheap, big, drainy.
3. What species are your favorite Yamadori. Local species.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stony hills/ mountains with little soil are good. But the same harsh places that have crippled trees into bonsai shape can also be deadly for humans, so be mindful of that. They can be next to impossible to harvest too. Taproots in rock, and all that. Theres luck involved.
The worst place would be a dense, flat forest.

Top Bottom