A few Random questions.

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
1. Just about every American Bonsai artist with recognition that I have read about come from the west coat. Are there any notable artists from the northeast? Specifically the New jersey, Pennsylvania or NY areas. Perhaps with a blog so I can look at pictures and see what species they prefer.

I live in south NJ and there is not much bonsai to be had around here. I'm not aware of any clubs and unfortunately, the only "Bonsai" I've seen in person are half dead and come from Home depot. It's a lonely hobby in the garden state.

2. Would the following photo be considered a masterpiece? I'm not sure where it came from who who created it but I am in love with it.
zelcova9cmii8.jpg

3. Has anyone tried a Beach Plum (Prunus maritima) for bonsai? I ask because I have a few growing in my back yard but they would need to be clipped back below the foliage line to do anything with them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Just about every American Bonsai artist with recognition that I have read about come from the west coat. Are there any notable artists from the northeast? Specifically the New jersey, Pennsylvania or NY areas. Perhaps with a blog so I can look at pictures and see what species they prefer.

I live in south NJ and there is not much bonsai to be had around here. I'm not aware of any clubs and unfortunately, the only "Bonsai" I've seen in person are half dead and come from Home depot. It's a lonely hobby in the garden state.

2. Would the following photo be considered a masterpiece? I'm not sure where it came from who who created it but I am in love with it.
zelcova9cmii8.jpg

3. Has anyone tried a Beach Plum (Prunus maritima) for bonsai? I ask because I have a few growing in my back yard but they would need to be clipped back below the foliage line to do anything with them.

Masterpiece? I guess I am not elite enough to say. However, it is an excellent example of a natural broom-style tree, either zelkova or some variety of elm,. By natural, I mean that the initial fork was naturally occurring in the seedling and not forced by chopping the trunk.

Check out Shady Side bonsai as well as their information and forum site at bonsaivault.com. Tom Brown is a terrific guy as well as having great material for sale. I know that Tom is partial to collected yews.

Chris

Reaction score
We actually have an abundance of amazing talent in the Northeast! Colin Lewis, Suthin Sukolsolvisit, Nick Lenz, Bill Valavanis,etc. And every year New England Bonsai brings in talent from Japan and elsewhere. Mr. Hiromi Tsukada is currently there for another week. Mario Komsta will be there for a week in early May (his first US visit) and Sandro Signeri will do a demo and workshop on May 9,10. There are the annual symposium in Sept in Rochester put on by Bill Valavanis, the Mid Atlantic Spring Festival. Nurseries include New England Bonsai (www.nebonsai.com), Bonsai West, International Bonsai, etc, etc.
Check out the American Bonsai Society website - there is the Great Swamp Bonsai in NJ and I'm sure there are others.
Good luck and enjoy bonsai!
John Romano
RI - the Shohin State
PS. that is a nice little zelkova shohin bonsai (Japanese greybark elm). NOT a masterpiece but a nice little shohin bonsai.

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chase Rosade's nursery is located in New Hope, PA not far from you and he hosts many classes and visiting artists. Jim Doyle has Nature's Way nursery in Harrisburg, Pa also not far away. He hoas classes as well as workshops wih artist like Walter Pall, Marco Invernizzi and Peter Adams. Both are excellent artists and teachers in their own right. Both have web sites. There is alot of Bonsai activity going on very close---you just have to do a bit of searching.

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow great information, thanks all. There is a club with some amazingly talented people about mile away from me in Morristown and I didn't even know about it. Very encouraging.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm sure that photo is from Kyosuke Gun's website which you can see here. Or if you are very adventurous, you can hunt and peck thru the Japanese version which has hundreds more progression of shohin sized bonsai here. (Just start clicking the links on the left to navigate, you'll figure it out)

I'd spent a good deal of time browsing on that site.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes indeed, it is a keyaki (zelkova) from Kyosuke's website.

This one here to be exact:
http://mini-bonsai.com/tree-index/keyaki/index.html

If I am not mistaken, its progression is also covered in book 9 of the mini-bonsai collection.

While it may not be considered a masterpiece by some, it is a good honest tree that has been properly developed. The tree had been trained from seed for 5 years when the picture was taken.

Bunsen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sorry, I posted this on the wrong thread:

Chase Rosad in located in New Hope, PA. (http://www.rosadebonsai.com); Nature's Way in Harrisburg, PA. (http://www.natureswaybonsai.com) and All Shapes in Ringoes, NJ. (ttp://www.allshapesbonsai.com) not far from Chase's.
The Bergen Bonsai Society is located in Closter, NJ (http://www.bergenbonsai.netfirms.com) and The Pennsylvania Bonsai Society meets in Plymouth Meeting PA (http://pabonsai.org). I live an hour and 15 minutes from both in midNJ and find the trip to both worth the effort.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daysleeper,

Howdy, I live in South Jersey as well good to have ya. You should definitely head over to BVault where you can chat with Tom Brown. Great guy you'll really like him. I just went to see him last Sunday and its great to see he's back to his old self. If you don't like yews now...don't worry...he can convert ya ;).

Tom

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Daysleeper,

Howdy, I live in South Jersey as well good to have ya. You should definitely head over to BVault where you can chat with Tom Brown. Great guy you'll really like him. I just went to see him last Sunday and its great to see he's back to his old self. If you don't like yews now...don't worry...he can convert ya ;).

Tom

Some of us he won't be able to convert, because they go belly up in one season here in the midsouth, just too much heat.

Harry

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah I would think that too if Irene didn't have a bunch of them that do really well. Yew should give one a try ;).

Tom

Top Bottom