A few recent pots

handpotter

Seedling
Reaction score
I really appreciate this site having a place to discuss and show pots. I am very impressed with some of the work displayed here. In the spirit of sharing I thought I'd upload a few of my recent pots.

Throughout his section I notieced considerable debate regarding inside glazing. Although it has become standard practice and almost a measure of pot quality, due to the vitirification of stoneware a glazed or unglazed interior makes little difference for air, moisture, or plant growth. Vitrified stoneware is virtually impervious to moisture or air. The biggest difference is that an unglazed interior offers some "tooth" for the pot and roots. The rougher surface does allow the roots to take hold and helps some with stability in the pot. I do not glaze any of my interiors but I have experimented some with glazed interiors on my own Bonsai and find no difference in their growth habits other than the fact that the glazed interior pots are much less stable in the pot. There is just nothing for the roots to take hold of.

Form an aesthetics perspective unglazed interiors and feet make for a much more finished looking piece, which it is. The time and effort required to either tape or wax the interior prior to glazing or oxide wash is considerable.

Attachments

• 1483.JPG
    1483.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 39
  • 1487b.JPG
    1487b.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 32
  • 1502.JPG
    1502.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 1592.JPG
    1592.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 1610.JPG
    1610.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 35

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks a lot for sharing, Chuck. I am curious about the design process of creating new pots. Do you create pots with a specific tree/use in mind? Or do you create on the fly with the "wait and see after it turns out" mentality?

handpotter

Seedling
Reaction score
It's funny, I have a few long term local clients and I often invite them over when I open the kiln. It seems no matter what you have, they needed one a little taller, a little less wide, or a little browner. I usually throw a kiln load of bigger pots then I'll do a smaller batch, then I'll hand build. I try to keep a selection that offers a variety of colors and shapes. As you know, Bonsai folks are pretty specific about what they are looking for.

I know what I am throwing when I sit down. But it always doesn't turn out exactly that way. Clay has a mind if it's own. Sometimes you just have to follow it. Right now I am working on some commissioned stuff and I have a picture of the trees that the pots will be for. I sent this individual a CD with a lot of my work on it and they picked out this shape, that glaze, and this foot treatment. I do offer suggestions, I believe I have a good eye for the vessel but it is not nearly as refined as many of my clients when it come to the marriage of tree and vessel. I am probably my most happy when I am just whirling clay.

I am fortunate in that I don't make a living at this. It is a big part of my life but it doesn't pay the bills. So, I can make what pleases my eye and hope that it will please others.

Chuck

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chuck,

Very nice selection of pots and glazes. I particularly like the blue glaze on the first pot and the texture you applied to the 4th pot.

What type of kiln do you use for your firings?

Best wishes,
Paul

handpotter

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a computer contolled Olympic 7 cu ft electric I use during the winter and I have an Olympic gas kiln I fire up during warmer weather. It's in a barn and a gas kiln take a lot more watching and I can't get a propane truck back there in the winter.

I texture my round work with a wood wallpaper seam roller that I carve patterns in with a pocket knife. It's pretty effective and give some interesting surfaces.

Thanks
Chuck

ben_sai

Seedling
Reaction score
Proud new owner

Of one of Chuck's beautiful pots

I bought this pot w/out a particular tree in mind, ;) , This will be my first "find a tree to fit the pot" experience.

Attachments

• 1483.JPG
    1483.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom