A final decree. Tamarack

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Biography: In 1992, my dad retired and spent a truly epic (truly) amount of time watching daytime TV for a while. He happened to come upon New Horizons in Bonsai on channel 20 in Chicago. If you happen to remember the host, Brian Batchelder, he had a razor sharp wit.

However, by time season two came around, he was wearing open shirts, gold chains, and was putting plastic dinosaurs on his trees.

Seemed somewhat, how you say, "stimulated". Not sure what was going on there.

But anyway...

We (I was about 14 at the time) immediately started putting junipers into sphagnum moss.

I spent the next 15 years meticulously killing nursery trees.

A few stars came into alignment.

#1. A career, so I don't have to play it cheap anymore.
#2. The internet has got me in touch with both physical and educational resources.

So here is the first tree I vow not to kill through stupidity. I can't rule out kids, or squirrels or whatever. But I'm not doing anything stupid anymore. I'm officially out of excuses.

The far right image is something I think I can work towards with a little professional guidance. Picked this up for $50 the other day.

And here is a plug for the guys at Hidden Gardens nursery in the Chicago area. It felt like I showed up to a family reunion or something . Very welcoming and helpful. I'll be seeing more of them.

http://www.hiddengarden.net/

P.S. the preview image is showing up sideways. I will try to fix if it stays that way...

Attachments

• Before.after22.jpg
    Before.after22.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 132

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Balls!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A 50 huh!?

That is pretty sick!

I haven't gotten back there in a while...
Looking forward to some of those
Walter Pall marked trees.

You happen to get a roughstimate on what is available?

Sorce

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A 50 huh!?

That is pretty sick!

I haven't gotten back there in a while...
Looking forward to some of those
Walter Pall marked trees.

You happen to get a roughstimate on what is available?

Sorce

The bonsai component of their business, as I was told, is growing quickly; what they have now does not resemble the amount space and material devoted toward bonsai from a couple years ago.

This is "the place" I've been dreaming about for years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen!

I met....what is his name?

At the Fall show last year...
They were at a table with Owen.
That's good enough for me!
Owen is my hero!

Awesome!

Sorce

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's a Mark who is the resident mentor. Jeff, I think it is, is the actual business owner.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was very fair. A collected tree, with readily apparent potential congruent with my experience level, with attention already given to it. Not sure what more I could ask for!

A 12er and a fattie....maybe free time to play with trees!
A train set....
A powerwheels 4x4....

Sorce

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
There's a Mark who is the resident mentor. Jeff, I think it is, is the actual business owner.
Jeff owns Hidden Gardens in Chicago. A great place to get Rocky Mountain and west coast collected material. He has a ton of events; notably Walter Pall and Jim Doyle's regular visits. I'll be there again the last weekend in May.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice find!

I stopped by Hidden Gardens yesterday. It was the first time I've been there since 2002, and wow their setup has improved greatly. For sure this is THE go-to place for bonsai and pre-bonsai in the Chicagoland area. Re: nursery stock, there are probably better locations, but I was very impressed. Very impressed!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dunno...
I've been to Hidden garden only once, last year, and even if it was spring already it was pouring cold rain like we don't get in Nov: some sort of summer storm volume of precipitation with a winter water's temperature...:mad:

So I don't know if the bad weather ruined the day or what but I was not really impressed by the place.
They've got nice trees don't get me wrong and furthermore they seem to be the only nursery with a real bonsai dept in the Chicagoland area (which sounds incredible to me btw).

But first of all I think the name couldn't be more deserved: to be hidden the freaking garden is really well hidden, took me forever to find it.
Then I though that their prices were really high (speaking of which @sorce : did you win the lottery? I went precisely after seeing a thread by Walter Pall concerning some yamadori of him for sale there, I saw them alright, but went away with a $12 for not even 5" tall mugo. A cutie, but still).

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Biography: In 1992, my dad retired and spent a truly epic (truly) amount of time watching daytime TV for a while. He happened to come upon New Horizons in Bonsai on channel 20 in Chicago. If you happen to remember the host, Brian Batchelder, he had a razor sharp wit.

However, by time season two came around, he was wearing open shirts, gold chains, and was putting plastic dinosaurs on his trees.

Seemed somewhat, how you say, "stimulated". Not sure what was going on there.

But anyway...

We (I was about 14 at the time) immediately started putting junipers into sphagnum moss.

I spent the next 15 years meticulously killing nursery trees.

A few stars came into alignment.

#1. A career, so I don't have to play it cheap anymore.
#2. The internet has got me in touch with both physical and educational resources.

So here is the first tree I vow not to kill through stupidity. I can't rule out kids, or squirrels or whatever. But I'm not doing anything stupid anymore. I'm officially out of excuses.

The far right image is something I think I can work towards with a little professional guidance. Picked this up for $50 the other day.

And here is a plug for the guys at Hidden Gardens nursery in the Chicago area. It felt like I showed up to a family reunion or something . Very welcoming and helpful. I'll be seeing more of them.

http://www.hiddengarden.net/

P.S. the preview image is showing up sideways. I will try to fix if it stays that way...

Looks like good start and good trees for beginner;);). Welcome to Bonsai.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was not really impressed by the place

Weather could definitely be to blame :(

In my opinion, the material was priced fairly compared to alternative options for comparable trees. I will admit that I'm not the most price sensitive and/or frugal member on this forum, haha.

they seem to be the only nursery with a real bonsai dept in the Chicagoland area (which sounds incredible to me btw)

Agreed!

Top Bottom