A fun little Acer planting today

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This little 'grove' called out to me yesterday afternoon as I was noticing bud break on nearly all of last years sprouts which were in assorted little tubs and pots. I grabbed one of my shallow saikei ovals (recently arrived from the kiln) and started punching them in! They'll nIMG_8253_edited.jpgIMG_8254.JPGIMG_8255.JPGeed some minor adjustment as the front is a straight line. (It can happen on first repot as root mass will be easier to adjust) The pot is a light blue with med grey clay body 9-1/2" [24cm]. I'll reduce the height and start ramifying later in the year.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks Matt… it’s a start and in one of my little trays….
Over time we’ll see some developments!

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
This little 'grove' called out to me yesterday afternoon as I was noticing bud break on nearly all of last years sprouts which were in assorted little tubs and pots. I grabbed one of my shallow saikei ovals (recently arrived from the kiln) and started punching them in! They'll nView attachment 472270View attachment 472271View attachment 472272eed some minor adjustment as the front is a straight line. (It can happen on first repot as root mass will be easier to adjust) The pot is a light blue with med grey clay body 9-1/2" [24cm]. I'll reduce the height and start ramifying later in the year.
Hopefully not a stupid question...you look to have pretty heavy wire on the right hand tree [and lesser amounts on some of the others] but trees themselves seem rather straight. What's the intent for the wire?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully not a stupid question...you look to have pretty heavy wire on the right hand tree [and lesser amounts on some of the others] but trees themselves seem rather straight. What's the intent for the wire?

A lot of the time, when creating deciduous forests, you actually want them straight.

There could be two reasons for the wire here, to straighten them, and/or just hold them in place when potting (the wire could be connected between trees under the substrate).

...but Vance can confirm when he comes back.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes RJG2,
Straighten first* and I have fine wires coming up through the 4 corner wire holes and fasten everything together .
*most of them are not straight so the wires !

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Leafing out.....
When all's leafed and branched I'll do some serious shortening....hah!

Attachments

• IMG_8666_edited.jpg
    IMG_8666_edited.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom