A Half Dozen Samll Ones

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are six trees (in two posts) under a foot tall that I've had fun cleaning up or messing around with recently. Sizes are measured from the rim of the pot to the top. They're in various stages of refinement.

First post:

Potentilla - 11"
Spanish Lavender - 9"
Kinnikinnick - 7"

Attachments

• Potentilla-1@10.jpg
    Potentilla-1@10.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 162
  • SpLavender10.jpg
    SpLavender10.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Kinnikinnick210.jpg
    Kinnikinnick210.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 136

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second Post:

Cryptomeria - 8"
Bougainvillea - 6"
Coastal Redwood - 11" (No need for the "pot's too small" comments :D . It sort of works for me in an odd and unexpected way, and several others with good eyes have said the same recently as well. Go figure.)

Enjoy.

G52

Attachments

• CryptoShohin10.jpg
    CryptoShohin10.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Bougy10.jpg
    Bougy10.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 124
  • RW-210.jpg
    RW-210.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 163

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing this collection of tiny trees. They all show a nice degree of development. The pot selections are all interesting too. Nice matching of tree and pot. I really like the pot that the lavendar is in, but the potentilal'as pot, not so much.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing this collection of tiny trees. They all show a nice degree of development. The pot selections are all interesting too. Nice matching of tree and pot. I really like the pot that the lavendar is in, but the potentilal'as pot, not so much.

Thanks, Barry. The pot the Spanish lavender sits in is made by Bruce Conkle, a friend of mine and an "environmental" artist, I think he calls himself. He's from Portland, a professional artist, and when he became interested in bonsai he started making pots. This was the first one he made - really stunning.

The potentilla sits in a type of pot made around 1900 in China. You can find them on Ebay occasionally. The workmanship on this one is quite nice, even if you don't like the style. You may note the two little rodents - squirrels or chipmunks, running around on the "trunk." :)

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
i really love the pot that the potentilla is in i would definetly look fo r one of these in the future how much would i expetc to pay for such a thing.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i really love the pot that the potentilla is in i would definetly look fo r one of these in the future how much would i expetc to pay for such a thing.

There are none for sale on Ebay at the moment to verify current prices, but one of these of various degrees of refinement will appear from time to time - probably $100-200, and about $100 shipping, all very approximate. Sometimes shipping deals can be made.

Antique Chinese pots are simply exquisit, IMO. Much different in look and feel from antique Tokonome pots, but no less appealing to me, and more available.

Two purveyors on Ebay to watch are zhong-zhong and add-color-life. Both are honest and fair, although add-color-life is more overtly friendly. Both deal in Chinese antiques in general, and are in Shanghai. Check out their stores - lots of beautiful pots available, but none in this style currently.

Top Bottom