A hello with some tree ID questions

Alexej

Seed
Reaction score
Dear Bonsai community,

Here is a first post from a new member to these forums. For a while I have liked bonsai as a by-stander. Simply by googling bonsai pictures as a way to pass time. Hoping to have picked up a bit of starter knowledge, I started collecting cheap material.

Although I can't do much in my tiny student room, I now have 5 little trees on my window sill. All extremely cheap (or free) trees that will be able to do something indoors (based on some web-research) Please allow me to introduce you to my team.

For now they are all just hanging in there, growing and getting used to my room. While I spent a few minutes every now and than, trying to figure out what these plants should be when they get older.

1. Some Hedera/Ivy, but which? Hardly bonsai material, but my practice project for root-on-rock)WebHedera.jpg
2 Some Liguster/Privet? Took this little one from a nearby park.WebPrivet.jpg
3 Some Liguster/Privet? This poor decapitated creature I also found in the park. WebPrivet2.jpg
4 Some Cypress/Conifer. Gold? The only one I spent a couple of bucks on. Smells like lemongrass. WebCypress.jpg
5 Ficus Benjamina. But is there an extra name for the partially-white leaves? webficus.jpg

I am not sure about the exact names to these plants, it'd be great if someone could help specify. And please correct me if I'm wrong about these fellas being able to live indoors.

Oh, I also like stringed instruments and my little moss-garden-in-a-jar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom