A humble first attempt at Penjing (...kind of)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I love penjing!
Pleases me more than simple bonsai.
Time has come to experiment on making a very simple composition of rocks and a tree. A tree in raft form...
I had collected some old ceramic tiles used in roofing of old country houses in my village. Not that old but old enough :) and those tiles were the ignition.

I drilled some holes and glued two bamboo sticks underneath the tile in order to form some kind of "feet" for for reasons of draining.
Photo1043_zpsuxavp3cl.jpg

I covered the holes with mesh and brought together some stones available which could fit into my project.
The stones were then glued onto the tile in an appropriate design.
Photo1049_zps3nt3ru2e.jpg
Photo1052_zps2zgp5or7.jpg

The tree which I had chosen to use is a Crassula ovata cutting which I had potted making it kind of raft.
I had chosen to use this species because it is hard and easy going and in view that this is my very first attempt I would like to have a tree which will almost certainly survive.
And of course my cup of Greek coffee! My best companion!

This is it!
Photo1057_zpsjbbuy7oh.jpg
Photo1060_zps96wgx87c.jpg

What do you think?

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I think it's showing your excellent Creativity...I like - admire your Penjing...
I am not familiar with your Crassula Ovata but it seems to work.
Your setting would also work with a small Juniper or two...

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
WOW, that combination looks very cool.
Very nice start.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you both for your generosity!
@Bolero the Junipers are intended for a future project, after I have gained some experience more :)
As Crassula and the other plants are fast growers I hope this setting will show itself much better soon enough.

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As young people say these days "You Go Girl!" A small living plant in a container evoking something much larger, nature and culture coming together to become art. Excellent first attempt!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Vin, thank you too!
... ...Maybe a little moss to finish it off?
Moss is really hard to grow in my climate, at least for me...
I failed one or two times I tried moss.
Very hot and stone dry summers over here :)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the length of it.

Should grow in well!

I'd like to see one with both bamboos on the back tilting it all forward.

You have more tiles right?

Do more +1!

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool deed, Alexandra. I like the perspective of a whole thing, combining of materials used, the tree's development and aging will only improve it. ...and the patina on your pot.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you Sorce.
... ...You have more tiles right?
Do more +1!
Yes, I do.
Next one will be tilted as per your suggestion.
In fact I had put some effort in making the setting at an angle lengthwise using pieces of broken tile and/or flat stones.
Of course, I needed more time for experimentation BUT I was impatient to start applying my inspiration on the materials available at the moment, that I decided for a level setting.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@0soyoung and @petegreg thank you very much for your kind words.
This particular ceramic tile was intended for a collected Olea sylvestris.
Unfortunately, I managed to kill the tree (yes, I did succeed in killing an olive) and the tile remained empty.
It was so very stupid of me... doing so many interventions in such a limited time span... just because "Olives are indestructible, you see" :(

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
OK, since the crowd is chipping in, and why wouldn't we, we're a chippy lot. @ my nellie are you taking requests? As an aesthetic concern, see what happens when the tile is footed by perhaps lengths of like tile. The bamboo may be an easy solution, but is it appropriate, or is it just a nod to the oriental roots (pun fully intended) of bonsai? Go full-on Greek woman! The shift in materials between fired earth vessel and organic grass feet I found jarring. Most blokes just go to market and buy something, but you, you not only construct the planting, you make the pot! Make a Greek pot! One of your earlier posts described your impatience with applying your inspiration to the materials you had at hand. That was your Muse driving the bus, and insisting on more gas pedal and less brakes. While impatience and bonsai made a terrible mix for me for many years, you apparently got the same result with your olive. What the tiles can do is absorb some of that impatience, feet of clay is not always a bad thing. It fits with humility, like approaching the Muse.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
excellent idea with the tile. It wholly appropriate for bonsai and penjing as a "found" object that has some character and presence. I have similarly used 200-year old slate roof tiles taken from the ruins of an old nearby plantation for accent plantings.

I have only a couple of quibbles with your excellent work. I would have used thinner wood strips on the bottom of the tile to stabilize it and allow drainage through the newly drilled holes. I would also have used an evergreen or an olive tree as the primary plant in it. Something a bit more rugged...

I would not try to embellish the tile with "full-on Greek" touches. It speaks for itself in a universal voice, with simple, subtle, unobtrusive beauty.

Top Bottom