A Japanese Maple forest beginning refinement

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
SSssshhhh....

Don’t tell anyone, but I’m actually @MACH5 ’s evil twin! (I just don’t have any fashion sense, people skills, real bonsai talent, or hair stylist... otherwise we’re identical!)
Come on now, Adair, you're being too hard on yourself. Your hairstyle rocks :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Adair,
Your Japanese maple forest is coming along great! Keep up the good work. All of those seedings are dwarf in character from the same seed source on the west coast, not Matt. I've been getting them for several years now and they all look identical, grow at the same rate and have foliage quite similar. They even tend to color up uniformly, but that's an environmental factor which changes yearly.

I'm sure all the roots have grown together on your forest by now, it only takes one or two growing seasons. If the trunks are placed too far apart it might take longer...... I've learned not to transplant too often. If the water drains and tree is healthy, leave it alone.

I have no idea where the practice of cutting back deciduous trees in autumn came from. I've been training Japanese maples for a few years and have NEVER seen a maple "bleed" to death. In cold areas of the country deciduous species often die back some, so its better to wait until just before they leaf out to trim back, and to also make large wounds. But, I've only been doing training maples this way for nearly 60 years. Perhaps I've been doing its wrong? But, this way works for me. I believe its important to learn from your trees and errors, then share the results with others. Whatever techniques work with you is good, keep them up.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
FWIW I have not worked with maples not nearly as long as Bill. But in the close to 30 years now working with them I have never lost a tree or even a branch from bleeding. I do not worry about it at all.

BTW at times they will also bleed in autumn.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Adair,
Your Japanese maple forest is coming along great! Keep up the good work. All of those seedings are dwarf in character from the same seed source on the west coast, not Matt. I've been getting them for several years now and they all look identical, grow at the same rate and have foliage quite similar. They even tend to color up uniformly, but that's an environmental factor which changes yearly.

I'm sure all the roots have grown together on your forest by now, it only takes one or two growing seasons. If the trunks are placed too far apart it might take longer...... I've learned not to transplant too often. If the water drains and tree is healthy, leave it alone.

I have no idea where the practice of cutting back deciduous trees in autumn came from. I've been training Japanese maples for a few years and have NEVER seen a maple "bleed" to death. In cold areas of the country deciduous species often die back some, so its better to wait until just before they leaf out to trim back, and to also make large wounds. But, I've only been doing training maples this way for nearly 60 years. Perhaps I've been doing its wrong? But, this way works for me. I believe its important to learn from your trees and errors, then share the results with others. Whatever techniques work with you is good, keep them up.
The practice of trimming maples in fall comes from Boon’s training in Japan. While I agree that a maple won’t bleed to death, I do like to minimize it. The theory is that as the maples leaves start to brown after their peak color, the trees are saving the last of the sugars. The flow would be down from the foliage towards the roots. Trimming then minimizes the sap flow outward. Contrast that timing against when the maple trees are “tapped” to make maple syrup. That’s late winter. When the sap “is rising”. I have watched several Japanese videos demonstrating how to strip the leaves and do a cut back in fall when studying with Boon at his Intensives.

I don’t mean to say he’s right and you’re wrong, I’m just relating what I’ve been taught.

I have no immediate plans on repotting this anytime soon. I’m enjoying it as it is for now. The more tightly knit the roots become the easier it will be to repot.

I’m very pleased with the progress of the composition. Last spring as I was pinching out the center leader of every little shoot, sometimes multiple times a day, I thought about your garden and wondered how you could possibly keep up!

I’m looking forward to seeing you next week! And hopefully you’ll bring another treasure I’ll just have to make room for on my bench!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
FWIW I have not worked with maples not nearly as long as Bill. But in the close to 30 years now working with them I have never lost a tree or even a branch from bleeding. I do not worry about it at all.

BTW at times they will also bleed in autumn.
Agree, I haven’t either. It’s just unsightly.

Incidentally, Boon also says that root pruning also will stop a Japanese Maple from bleeding.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Agree, I haven’t either. It’s just unsightly.

Incidentally, Boon also says that root pruning also will stop a Japanese Maple from bleeding.

Yes I have noticed that as well which I think is interesting.

Top Bottom