A JM Forest

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey everyone,

I put together this maple forest with a friend recently that I wanted to post here. The 5 clump stand on the left was mine that I have been growing for a little while now and the 2 tree clump was an idea of the buddy who helped me throw this planting together. I wasn't sold on two species of JM in this forest and was content with the 5 tree clump, but I figured it was worth a go considering this is the 1st pot for either stands of trees. They have both been growing like gangbusters this spring and I have been pruning peace sign growth every other week or sooner. Here are some pics before and after:P2010060.jpgP2212679.jpg P3232999.jpg IMG_6900.jpg

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Generally speaking I like the look. It is peaceful and tranquil.

If it were mine, I would like to see the thicker truck that is leaning left tipped upright. The 3 trees on the left seem clumped too closely together and my eye has a tendency to want to look "through" or "past" the composition because of the gap in the middle of the clump of 5. If this tree were upright, it would prevent the eye from looking past and draw the focus of the eye to the center of the 5 with the ability to still enjoy the complementing 2 on the right.

Nice Start.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks nice. Good effort. Love maples, great spring colors. I've got too many!! Good luck.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I sorta like the gap in between the two groups of the maples. It makes it look a little different than other maple forests

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Generally speaking I like the look. It is peaceful and tranquil.

If it were mine, I would like to see the thicker truck that is leaning left tipped upright. The 3 trees on the left seem clumped too closely together and my eye has a tendency to want to look "through" or "past" the composition because of the gap in the middle of the clump of 5. If this tree were upright, it would prevent the eye from looking past and draw the focus of the eye to the center of the 5 with the ability to still enjoy the complementing 2 on the right.

Nice Start.

I think that's a good observation. The front that is in the photos above was initially the back. But once I played around with it a bit, it became apparent that the initial back of the composition should be the front...so, the trees were planted at angles with a different front in mind, if that makes sense. I plan on messing with the planting angle of the 5 tree clump next time I report and they will also be planted more towards the rear of the pot than they are now.

Thanks for the recommendation and other comments!

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I sorta like the gap in between the two groups of the maples. It makes it look a little different than other maple forests

I agree with this statement, too...I think somewhere in the middle of what you are saying, erb, and what midmich is saying, is eventually where the space in that gap will end up...not overly adjusted, but somewhat. I will really have to just eye it up when I repot this forest with the present front in mind instead of the initial front...or something like that :confused: Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks nice. Good effort. Love maples, great spring colors. I've got too many!! Good luck.

Thanks Lance! I am not sure one can have too many maples...so many of them have the great combination of beauty and hardiness that we look for. Thanks again!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think it looks great. The gaps will change a bit with growth so I'd leave it the way it is. Good job!

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks J, it was a fun project and I am glad some of you like it!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like it! Really reminds me of a natural wooded area at my old place. There was a moss cover trail between the trees I used to walk the dogs on. Very peaceful :)

Grimmy

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I appreciate the compliment Grimmy, that's the kind of thing I enjoy about bonsai too. Thanks!

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
It really looks nice. What are your plans in next few years with it? Please keep this updated :)

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Klosi...I think what I am looking to next with this planting is ramification of the branches and a little bit of play or adjustment with the planting placement in the pot in a year or two.

Top Bottom