A Keeper

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone, I talked Dad into taking me collecting today. We were suppose to go to the pine barrens tomorrow but he said it would be to cold.:( So we went near the farm instead. We walked about ten miles and I found this American Hornbeam at the end of our walk.:D Score one for Taylor and zero for Dad.:p I think it has some good possibilities. a good nebari for yamadori. It also has some good taper to. A small shoot that I will make as a new leader is in the right place. It has a second trunk that I have two choices with I think. The first is to chop it off. The second is to either make it a low branch or maybe a second trunk. I think it might sit to high for that choice.:confused: Anyone have any ideas on this second trunk let me know. Hope you like it. I had a lot of fun collecting it.

Attachments

• jsw_p1070019.jpg
    jsw_p1070019.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 130

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I would go for option #2. It would make a nice twin trunk I think and you could always go for option #1 later on. Nice find!:)

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Taylor,

Congrats on what appears to be a good specimen of an undervalued US native! I enjoy working with American Hornbeam, and collected a couple this past November.

I agree with the other 2 replies you received, keep the second trunk/sub trunk for now. As I am sure you know, the most important consideration on keeping it is how it will work with the main trunk At this point it is too early to tell if it can be incorporated into the final design until the new growth emerges and you see what you have to work with.

I am surprised at the timing of your collection. In southern North Carolina(almost in South Carolina), we collect hornbeam in late October through early November and get new roots over the winter and then rapid growth come spring (if we do it right!). I wouldn't think to go out and collect again until the end of February or very early March now. Of course for winter protection here I only have to leave the plants on the ground, mulched in and protected somwhat from the north and west winds. How do you protect your newly collected plants when dug this time of year?

Regards,
Martin

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
All three comments above I feel is right on for this one Taylor....
Let it cook and see where it takes you later on.
:D Good score over The Dad!
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very impressive find, Ms. Taylor! Sounds like you have a very good grasp of what you want to do with it. This is going to be a very nice tree.

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am surprised at the timing of your collection. In southern North Carolina(almost in South Carolina), we collect hornbeam in late October through early November and get new roots over the winter and then rapid growth come spring (if we do it right!). I wouldn't think to go out and collect again until the end of February or very early March now. Of course for winter protection here I only have to leave the plants on the ground, mulched in and protected somwhat from the north and west winds. How do you protect your newly collected plants when dug this time of year?

Hi Mr. Martin, Dad and I have been collecting trees from January till it gets to warm and trees have got leaves since I was a little kid. Dad has told me that the tempreture needs to below a certain point for a a lot of days. I can't remember those numbers right now:( I just know they need to be dormant for a long time. We have an area that we use to store these trees and the temperature is controlled. I think dad keeps it at about 38 degrees and every month turns it up about 3 degrees I think till its warm enough. All I no is that every spring all the trees I collected when its cold have lived.:) You should ask Dad he could tell you more than I can.

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mr. Chris I am glad you think its a good one:) I do to. Now if I can make it like the picture in my head I will be happy

Top Bottom