A Large Kojo-no-mai

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I love my little Fuji, was one of the first trees I got and worked on. I have thought for a while if I saw a larger nice one I would snap it up.

We popped into a large nursery today as we were traveling past. I found this monster tucked away in a back poly tunnel, and lugged it back to the shop area. When I asked the owner for a price, he apologized and said it wasn't for sale, and was much loved by his wife. "Oh ok, no worries", I said. We chatted for a bit and he`s had this Fuji for about 18 years, and has used it at shows as a center display to sell his fuji stocks. His wife then past by and he asked her if she was willing to let it go. "Go on then" she said.

For £100, I think I got a good deal ;) I haven't even see one this size.
20180106_173812.jpg

20180106_173813.jpg 20180106_173832.jpg 20180106_173848.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a beauty! When you have a chance, I would love to see the trunk from a different angle.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Love these trees, I have 2 myself a small and a medium, would love one that size! They seem to be in all the nurseries and garden centres by me currently

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love these yes the flowers!
Going to screw one to aboard and plant one in the ground this year its to small still even to be shohin
The other one i styled last year fell over a couple times and the neighbour cat knocked off a few branches so i guess i will chop it down lower and have to start over again :(
Fall color is great too!

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Awesome find! I picked up another one of these a couple months back, compared to this though I'd say it's a small/medium! Going to start a thread when I come round to starting on it. I've got a real small one I started last year and one almost as big as yours which has been in the garden for a few years, love these Fuji cherries.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For £100, I think I got a good deal ;) I haven't even see one this size.

The first thing I thought when I saw the photo was - "Wow - where did THAT come from?". Then I read your note. Great find. I hope the nursery owner knows that you are using it for bonsai, so that it will be on display and be an important tree in the future!

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The first thing I thought when I saw the photo was - "Wow - where did THAT come from?". Then I read your note. Great find. I hope the nursery owner knows that you are using it for bonsai, so that it will be on display and be an important tree in the future!

I'll be sure you show him when it's looking presentable. He asked me once do I make any money from creating bonsai.. Just said ask me again in 10 years. He hasn't mentioned it since and just knows I like digging about in the back tunnels ;)

Top Bottom