A Legacy of Ancient Oaks: Botanical Art

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So I just came across this virtual exhibition of some of Mark Firth´s work released via Kew Gradens and must say I´m blown away not only at his amazing talent but the specimens he has based his work upon.

You can find the exhibition here as well as links to purchase his work. I have no business or attachments to this but feel it fair to mention it as it´s so bloody cool.

Anyway I´ll post a couple of examples that stand out to me but more to be found at the link.
These are very inspirational to me as they are really not something I am familiar with yet I kind of am through media and all. The detail is stunning.
I´m hoping @BobbyLane @Paulpash may get a kick out of it anyway.

The drawings convey the stark architectural beauty of Britain’s most iconic ancient oaks, many of which are more than 1,000 years old.
The artist, Mark Frith, captures the individual character and majesty of each tree in winter, with the tree trunks, bark and branches shown in all their intricacy.
Not only beautiful, these botanical drawings also help document the nature of these long-lived oaks.
The series took the artist three and a half years to complete, with each drawing measuring a huge 1.7 metres wide.

There are longer descriptions of each tree as well at the link above.

The Great Oak
1598122939381.png

Offa´s Oak
1598123402353.png

Darley Oak
1598123118875.png

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So I just came across this virtual exhibition of some of Mark Firth´s work released via Kew Gradens and must say I´m blown away not only at his amazing talent but the specimens he has based his work upon.

You can find the exhibition here as well as links to purchase his work. I have no business or attachments to this but feel it fair to mention it as it´s so bloody cool.

Anyway I´ll post a couple of examples that stand out to me but more to be found at the link.
These are very inspirational to me as they are really not something I am familiar with yet I kind of am through media and all. The detail is stunning.
I´m hoping @BobbyLane @Paulpash may get a kick out of it anyway.

The drawings convey the stark architectural beauty of Britain’s most iconic ancient oaks, many of which are more than 1,000 years old.
The artist, Mark Frith, captures the individual character and majesty of each tree in winter, with the tree trunks, bark and branches shown in all their intricacy.
Not only beautiful, these botanical drawings also help document the nature of these long-lived oaks.
The series took the artist three and a half years to complete, with each drawing measuring a huge 1.7 metres wide.

There are longer descriptions of each tree as well at the link above.

The Great Oak
View attachment 324555

Offa´s Oak
View attachment 324557

Darley Oak
View attachment 324556
Thanks for the heads up. Inspirational indeed 👍.

Top Bottom