A link to Jason’s visit to Boon’s garden!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It was a great video.
I can't imagine being around so many beautiful trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought the Ume was possibly the one you traded for the broom. So I was right. I screen shot an exposed root I wished had been shared at a more indepth look. But the dragon...was a beast! Impressive trees indeed. Also knew that was your Olive. ?
image.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So many amazing trees! I can understand why you guys are so happy to study with Boon. I like that tall JRP, they always seem to catch my eye!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once again.
I dont click links nor do I watch videos.
That being said I'm sorry I asked.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought the Ume was possibly the one you traded for the broom. So I was right. I screen shot an exposed root I wished had been shared at a more indepth look. But the dragon...was a beast! Impressive trees indeed. Also knew that was your Olive. ?
View attachment 202899
There are a lot of exposed root bonsai at Boon’s in various levels of development.

Just so you know, they’re usually developed growing straight up (since they’re grown in tubes). Then, once they’re grown out, they’re crunched into semicascades.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There are a lot of exposed root bonsai at Boon’s in various levels of development.

Just so you know, they’re usually developed growing straight up (since they’re grown in tubes). Then, once they’re grown out, they’re crunched into semicascades.
Ahhh ... wish I had known that prior to my 10 year project makes much more sense then. Cool he has several...

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I'm doing a few exposed root bonsai projects - Hawthorn, Larch & Berberis. If you have any pics or additional info, eg can you get good movement into the roots or is it luck, random or pruning. I'm using cut out plastic bottles and coarse aggregate to train mine.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm doing a few exposed root bonsai projects - Hawthorn, Larch & Berberis. If you have any pics or additional info, eg can you get good movement into the roots or is it luck, random or pruning. I'm using cut out plastic bottles and coarse aggregate to train mine.
The roots are thin, so they’re flexible. Easy to crush.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Grown in tubes? Please elaborate. I have not heard of this technique before. Do you have some pictures of a tree undergoing this process?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is one of mine. It grew up straight, but I started tipping it over a couple years ago. I really haven’t crunched it.

EE4993FD-C0F4-49B5-ADCB-C2E16E4AE60A.jpeg

But, it’s also possible to attach a piece of rebar to the trunk portion of the tree, and use it as leverage to make it bend in the root section. Then tie it down for a couple years via guy wire, leaving the rebar. Maybe even crunching a bit more every 6 months or so.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Grown in tubes? Please elaborate. I have not heard of this technique before. Do you have some pictures of a tree undergoing this process?

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/black-pine-seedling-cuttings.24555/page-5#post-410339

Start with this post and the following conversation. It walks you through the process with black pine.

Here is Eric Schrader’s description of the process

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/a-few-pine-seeds-6-years-later.7033/#post-93704

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s one way:

FAB6DAE6-AD92-48EA-807F-025E18F7CDB6.jpeg

Rather than ‘‘tis wood structure, what’s popular is to use black drainage pipe, or plastic soda bottles. These can be cut with a knife to slowly expose the roots.

Top Bottom