A literati style Scots in my future?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I alluded to this tree in another thread earlier.
I also got this tree from Vance. He had another I really wanted but the lady who bought my shimpaku bought that too. It was big!
However. This tree also caught my eye. It isn't that large. The smaller trunk is a little over half an inch in diameter. The needles are short. I've only seen needles shorter than these on a Scots once. Vance also trained that tree. They were under 1/2" in length.
This still needs wire and a pot both of which I happen to have on hand.
20170824_134116.jpg 20170824_134103.jpg I also want to thank @Vance Wood for the opportunity to own the trees and for all of his help getting me going in the right direction. There were things I was doing to trees when styling them that he pointed out and it has really helped.
And for all of the Michigan nutters and the ones from Ohio,Illinois and Indiana,the states closest to the show,you guys are truly missing out. Not will he put you into a tree but help you with it.
Thanks again Vance.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Mr. Wood has given a very appealing movement to the branches.
How long did he work this tree, do you know?
Despite the straightness of the trunks, I do like this tree. It is kind of unique...?
Despite that "V" I do like this tree.
Despite the uniformity of height, I do like this tree.
And I believe you can improve it and it can get better.
... ...The needles are short. I've only seen needles shorter than these on a Scots once... ...
Pinus sylvestris in Spain have very short needles.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Despite the straightness of the trunks, I do like this tree.
Despite that "V" I do like this tree.
Despite the uniformity of height, I do like this tree.
And I believe you can improve it and it can get better.
Pinus sylvestris in Spain have very short needles.
We discussed putting some bends in the trunks.
Not sure if I want to or not.
A lot of mature Scots pines around look like this around here.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
We discussed putting some bends in the trunks.
Not sure if I want to or not... ...
I understand your hesitation.
Bending will eliminate the tree's uniqueness, in terms of bonsai of course. I mean this straightness is not agreeable in bonsai terms, isn't it?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand your hesitation.
Bending will eliminate the tree's uniqueness, in terms of bonsai of course. I mean this straightness is not agreeable in bonsai terms, isn't it?
They're not really that straight. The pictures don't pick u the very subtle bends.
I'm thinking real hard on it though.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Noticing more and more trees (bonsai and landscape) that look great with all the movement going on in the top 1/3 of the tree

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a fun tree to work with. I think adding some bends to the trunks would be nice, some compacting of the branches too. Hope to see it progress.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I alluded to this tree in another thread earlier.
I also got this tree from Vance. He had another I really wanted but the lady who bought my shimpaku bought that too. It was big!
However. This tree also caught my eye. It isn't that large. The smaller trunk is a little over half an inch in diameter. The needles are short. I've only seen needles shorter than these on a Scots once. Vance also trained that tree. They were under 1/2" in length.
This still needs wire and a pot both of which I happen to have on hand.
View attachment 158143 View attachment 158144 I also want to thank @Vance Wood for the opportunity to own the trees and for all of his help getting me going in the right direction. There were things I was doing to trees when styling them that he pointed out and it has really helped.
And for all of the Michigan nutters and the ones from Ohio,Illinois and Indiana,the states closest to the show,you guys are truly missing out. Not will he put you into a tree but help you with it.
Thanks again Vance.
You are too kind Mike.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You guys want decent Scots Pines get your hands on a bunch of starter trees and grow them out for a couple of years,---- that's what I do. It's one thing to sit around and wish while on the other hand there are ways to get your hands on stuff that will work. Trouble most people aren't interested in growing stuff out or on or up or what ever, they tend to just be satisfied with complaining about the lack of material. I know the nurseries are not full of first class or even second class Scots Pines but they grow so fast it does not take too long to grow them out for yourself. Thisnk about it: What good is a Scots Pine for? If it ain't bonsai what else is there. In that answer is the solution.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now your talking, I really like this one Mike and Vance. Good bark and nice character. Without seeing it in person, I agree with putting some movement in the main trunks.

I love Scots and have been thinking over how to create good ones the last few years. I agree with Vance that most accessible Scots around are 2nd rate but they can be grown quickly especially in the ground. 5-10 years will go by either way.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Would love to get stuck into pines but so far wild and garden centers/nursaries have been slim pickings. All in time I suppose.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You guys want decent Scots Pines get your hands on a bunch of starter trees and grow them out for a couple of years,---- that's what I do. It's one thing to sit around and wish while on the other hand there are ways to get your hands on stuff that will work. Trouble most people aren't interested in growing stuff out or on or up or what ever, they tend to just be satisfied with complaining about the lack of material. I know the nurseries are not full of first class or even second class Scots Pines but they grow so fast it does not take too long to grow them out for yourself. Thisnk about it: What good is a Scots Pine for? If it ain't bonsai what else is there. In that answer is the solution.
Well no real problems there were just waitin there boss ...now some older larger scotts , would love some there's nothing wrong with that ?
52530287803__F84C6DAE-2680-4320-9612-7CFD4E731F5D.JPG 52530288260__696C7805-91C2-40EB-9E16-981D4D101BBD.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but they grow so fast it does not take too long to grow them out for yourself.
It's around 8 to 10 years only for them to be 6 foot Christmas trees. Luckily for me they grow wild in spots around here. I will be collecting some already grown. I didn't even dig one tree last year.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's around 8 to 10 years only for them to be 6 foot Christmas trees. Luckily for me they grow wild in spots around here. I will be collecting some already grown. I didn't even dig one tree last year.
Shame on you-----I had a bad year too, I didn't do half of what I wanted.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll hit it hard next spring though. Pines maybe a spruce or two and a couple big tamaracks.
I'm going for quality not quantity any more.
This is true for me as well on both accounts. Between work & children I didn't get to half of what I wanted & tried my best to avoid doing some of it half assed as I have in the past due to lack of time. I'm also looking to thin out what material doesn't seem to have a lot to offer or I can't learn something by working on. As with all things I'll get better at all of the above with increased experience.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can ez see see a tall literati in a shallow round pot. Good luck and don't mess it up lol

Great tree btw

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.
After a little wire.
I'm ordering some fat wire soon for the trunks.
I love this tree.
Another thing happened to me this year along with the pine addiction.
I like literati style trees.
There are lots of examples around here. Jack pines and Scots pines tend to look like this. Neither grows straight trunks and they both tend to lose lower branches as they grow taller. I used to not like the literati style at all because I see so many examples. But tastes change over time I guess.
So a before.DSC_0025.JPG
And after.20170916_154351.jpg

Top Bottom