A literati style Scots in my future?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm just having problems with these two areas. I like the trunks and I like that one is smaller than the other. I like how the branches and growth is conducive to styling in the literati form.

What I have the problems with;

One, Literati are seldom two. Minor, but a question correct?

Two and the hardest, My eyes are drawn to the two areas I have marked with bubbles. In the larger of the two the larger branch that moves off to the right, is a continuance of the line and form of the trunk. My eye just curves around that corner like no ones business. Then above that eye grabber is this zig zag trunk that just seems perched there with little to do with the rest of the tree, style wise..I mean.

Then the second and shorter trunk sort of does the same thing but in mirror image.

For me I would have to cut the top off the right trunk, and wire up that long branch moving off to the right and style that as the apex, ( I think there is enough there)
And then take off the left branch on the left tree. Wire out whats left on each new apex and I think there are a great tree there now with some work.

You havn't even begun to work this over yet. Until I see some re-bar wired to the base and those trunks up there, theres still work to do. On that larger trunk you going to have to choose one or the other but not both. If you decide you can't cut that branch off the right tree, I would move all the foliage dramatically to the right and really swoop that branch out there and move the aprx as far to the right as you can. Then you could CROSS that smaller trunk in front of the right trunk and move that apex to the right also. This is the one time that a trunk crossing in front of another can work. There is some good things that can happen, just got to think out of the box on this one. Nothing normal here is going to work, it just doesn't have the bones for traditional so go untraditional with it!!!

20180815_154837 with red.jpg

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
For me I would have to cut the top off the right trunk, and wire up that long branch moving off to the right and style that as the apex, ( I think there is enough there)
And then take off the left branch on the left tree. Wire out whats left on each new apex and I think there are a great tree there now with some work.
That would do it for me. Then I wouldn't be/have divergent strabismus. The opposite of cross-eyed. And no...I didn't know that term, I have a computer. :D

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
That would do it for me. Then I wouldn't be/have divergent strabismus. The opposite of cross-eyed. And no...I didn't know that term, I have a computer. :D
You be real funny sir

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
, I would move all the foliage dramatically to the right and really swoop that branch out there and move the aprx as far to the right as you can. Then you could CROSS that smaller trunk in front of the right trunk and move that apex to the right also. This is the one time that a trunk crossing in front of another can work. There is some good things that can happen, just got to think out of the box on this one. Nothing normal here is going to work, it just doesn't have the bones for traditional so go untraditional with it!!!
I really like this idea.
Once it recoups from this years work I might give it a go.

Reactions: GGB

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Vance Wood.
You asked me to let you know how this tree fared after our work on it at the show.
Its doing great.
There's buds all over.
I put it next to that other double trunk Scots so it would have a good influence.
3 buds out of old wood so far that I can find also.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some great suggestions made by Al, I would say!
... ...Then you could CROSS that smaller trunk in front of the right trunk and move that apex to the right also. This is the one time that a trunk crossing in front of another can work. There is some good things that can happen, just got to think out of the box on this one. Nothing normal here is going to work, it just doesn't have the bones for traditional so go untraditional with it!!!
The area which I circled in yellow low between the two trunks is really bothering my eye.
This is a "critical area" to my opinion...
The suggested way to move the left trunk is also solving this problem, if I may say.
The two trunks having the same flow of movement! Great!

20180815_154837 with red.jpg

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
So tomen the big problem is too much symmetry between the lower trunks. Not just the overall trunk line but more importantly the trunk angles. I would play with lowering the smaller left hand trunk if that’s possible.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All good suggestions for sure. Thanks. But.
I will be keeping it as is for now. I really like and that's all that really matters,right?
I'll probably enter in our club show next year and see what a judge standing in front of it says.
It can always be cut and bent differently later if it flops bad.
I dont think it will.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mike, I think these suggestions are all great. You have the potential for a great tree, but if they were a couple in love at a dance contest, they seem to be dancing away from one another instead of in sync doing the jitterbug. I think that's what everyone is seeing. Know what I mean, Vern?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike, I think these suggestions are all great. You have the potential for a great tree, but if they were a couple in love at a dance contest, they seem to be dancing away from one another instead of in sync doing the jitterbug. I think that's what everyone is seeing. Know what I mean, Vern?
Yep.

Top Bottom