A little advice and help please..? ?

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh Boy! more fun with hardening off. The most misunderstood term in bonsai....why? because it should never be in the bonsai vocabulary.
Like all anthracnose fungus in maples OR elms and most all deciduous trees the disease is there the year previous, just like in maples of which I have spoken ad nauseum, but no one listens. I'm gonna change my screen name to Ryan Neil and see if things improve.
The name of the fungus is Stegophora (syn. Gnomonia) ulmea. It is set up in the previous years growth and shows up in the current year when the buds open. It has nothing to do with whether the leaves are hardened or not. In fact it is during the summer when the humidity is low and things are drier that the fungus goes into hybernation and comes alive in the fall when the conditions are met again. In the summer you may think that the leaves hardening off has controlled the fungus but it will be back and ready to show it self next spring unless you change your ways.

Controlling it is simple. Use common sense. Look in a nursery or the nursersy section of your favorite store. There products called DORMANT DISEASE CONTROL. They are meant to be used while the tree is in dormancy. Most usually it is dilute lime sulpher. I have no idea about these products in the UK.

In the spring when buds begin to open continue the control by weekly applications of a fungicide. Copper or daconil work well.

AGAIN PEOPLE FUNGUS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LEAF HARDENING, IT AFFECTS NEW LEAVES CAUSE ITS ALREADY THERE!!!!o_O

http://entoweb.okstate.edu/ddd/diseases/elmblackspot.htm
http://cemarin.ucanr.edu/Programs/Custom_Program97/Tree_Deseases/Chinese_Elm_Anthracnose/

My comment was just in response to the use of a cold frame and relating to the temperature. I assumed putting the tree in a cold frame overnight was to avoid frost damage, I wasn't talking about fungus issues at all!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm in the UK & have been growing elms for over 20 years - Chinese, English, Jacqueline Hillier, cork bark. I live in Yorkshire and the only elm that I've ever killed was in my first year of keeping bonsai (22). Guess where I kept it? Indoors. You really make a rod for your own back keeping them inside - if they don't die ch. Elm get really leggy, internodes lengthen & often they will get a fungal issue at some point.

So here's some advice

1. Move it outdoors asap, preferably in full sun for most of the day. Put it somewhere raised, away from kids, pets & pests.

2. Keep it outside through Winter unless it drops below - 5C for a few days. Just move it somewhere like an unheated garage temporarily then back outside. This past Winter I never touched it - it just stayed on my benches unprotected.

3. Repot it into straight Sanicat Pink (you can get a bag from the Pets at Home shop) when it's time to repot next year.

4. Water every day in the growing season. Feed every 2 weeks. Stop watering / feeding around November unless it's unseasonably warm (unlikely).

Bingo, easy, sorted. You will see a massive improvement in health & vigour.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm in the UK & have been growing elms for over 20 years - Chinese, English, Jacqueline Hillier, cork bark. I live in Yorkshire and the only elm that I've ever killed was in my first year of keeping bonsai (22). Guess where I kept it? Indoors. You really make a rod for your own back keeping them inside - if they don't die ch. Elm get really leggy, internodes lengthen & often they will get a fungal issue at some point.

So here's some advice

1. Move it outdoors asap, preferably in full sun for most of the day. Put it somewhere raised, away from kids, pets & pests.

2. Keep it outside through Winter unless it drops below - 5C for a few days. Just move it somewhere like an unheated garage temporarily then back outside. This past Winter I never touched it - it just stayed on my benches unprotected.

3. Repot it into straight Sanicat Pink (you can get a bag from the Pets at Home shop) when it's time to repot next year.

4. Water every day in the growing season. Feed every 2 weeks. Stop watering / feeding around November unless it's unseasonably warm (unlikely).

Thanks for all that advice!! ? very helpful!!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

So here's some advice

We did have some very cold days last winter, a few days of -5 or 6. Did you still keep all elms in?
I put all my guys in unheated shelter which I know is fine, just curious for next time.. a Chinese elm is pretty damn bulletproof.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
We did have some very cold days last winter, a few days of -5 or 6. Did you still keep all elms in?
I put all my guys in unheated shelter which I know is fine, just curious for next time.. a Chinese elm is pretty damn bulletproof.

Unless it gets to - 5C they stay out. The lowest at my place was - 4C. As soon as it gets above - 5C out they go again. Real simple.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unless it gets to - 5C they stay out. The lowest at my place was - 4C. As soon as it gets above - 5C out they go again. Real simple.

Yeah thats what I did. Alright, good to confirm with someone actually in the same country! I wasn't mad, moving things in and out over and over.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
-5c seems like nothing. I let my winged elm seedlings in -17c+ and they did OK.
Suppose to be around what? -10c, -15c before you even have to worry about the roots if it's a hardy tree. I leave most of my trees out in -25c with wind protection.
Some say USDA zone 4 some say 5, I dunno, but my Chinese elm seedlings do OK in 0F (-17c). To each their own i suppose. I don't have many tree that expensive either.
Aren't UK winters considered mild?

Gaston

Sapling
Reaction score
-5c seems like nothing. I let my winged elm seedlings in -17c+ and they did OK.
Suppose to be around what? -10c, -15c before you even have to worry about the roots if it's a hardy tree. I leave most of my trees out in -25c with wind protection.
Some say USDA zone 4 some say 5, I dunno, but my Chinese elm seedlings do OK in 0F (-17c). To each their own i suppose. I don't have many tree that expensive either.
Aren't UK winters considered mild?
Where do you live? ?

Top Bottom