A little assistance in identification

MandrakeRoot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello Folks,

I needed a little help identifying this pre bonsai plant I picked up at the botanical gardens. I believe this is a Fukien Tea plant but just needed to be sure. And if I am correct, my plans are as follows; any input on that would be great:

1. Plan to keep in current pot or possibly repot into slightly larger conventional pot once spring comes around. Planning to feed about once a month in the winter and work up to once/twice a week through spring and summer.

2. Wait about 2-3 seasons in hopes of some trunk thickening and then repot to a bonsai training pot after root pruning. Maybe wire once it's settled into the training pot for a few months.

Will proceed on to a bonsai pot eventually depending on how training goes. Any feedback on approach would also be hugely helpful.

Thanks for reading!

V

Attachments

• PXL_20210125_041037801.jpg
    PXL_20210125_041037801.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20210125_041027702.jpg
    PXL_20210125_041027702.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 61

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Appears as Privet. Juniper next to it dead or almost so:(. Cannot be kept indoors.

MandrakeRoot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks all, Serissa Thousand Stars it is.

Any notes on my propagation approach? Still def a Bonsai noob, so any tips or guidelines would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just killed my second one of these... too much acid whilst “adjusting water”.. I like them and normally had NO problems with them, once my “wintering area” was properly adjusted.... this last one was MY fault. 🤣

They don’t like changing/altering ALL those leaves to catch “best sun angles”... basically.. rotation or “moving” stress them, a bit. Too drastic swings in temp/humidity will cause them to “blow leaves”... if they get too dry, same thing. Too wet, ditto. Cloudy streak... same!

Try to LOVE with your eyes, not with nutrients, scissors, or water.. these are susceptible to a nice range of “devastating” pests... watch for micro-appearing“spider-webs” around the relative “ends”. So you have to take care to keep an observant eye..WATCH...

Wire branches/trunks relatively young.. they lignify and get brittle quite quick..

I’d recommend a quick “mite-check” right now... if you haven’t recently... are you familiar with the process?.. with white paper?

🤓

MandrakeRoot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just killed my second one of these... too much acid whilst “adjusting water”.. I like them and normally had NO problems with them, once my “wintering area” was properly adjusted.... this last one was MY fault. 🤣

They don’t like changing/altering ALL those leaves to catch “best sun angles”... basically.. rotation or “moving” stress them, a bit. Too drastic swings in temp/humidity will cause them to “blow leaves”... if they get too dry, same thing. Too wet, ditto. Cloudy streak... same!

Try to LOVE with your eyes, not with nutrients, scissors, or water.. these are susceptible to a nice range of “devastating” pests... watch for micro-appearing“spider-webs” around the relative “ends”. So you have to take care to keep an observant eye..WATCH...

Wire branches/trunks relatively young.. they lignify and get brittle quite quick..

I’d recommend a quick “mite-check” right now... if you haven’t recently... are you familiar with the process?.. with white paper?

🤓
Thank you for all the tips, very helpful. I'll look up how to do a mite check and will do one today. And will try my best to love with my eyes and not mess with it too much. It's seems to like the spot it's in but too early to tell. This little girl has a long way to go, definitely a baby. Thanks for the advice!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You just hold white paper underneath the leaves and branches and “tap” or “drum” on the tree... check the paper.. are their spots?... are the spots MOVING (when observed close)?

If not, Pony-boy...

I’d say you’re golden.

MandrakeRoot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You just hold white paper underneath the leaves and branches and “tap” or “drum” on the tree... check the paper.. are their spots?... are the spots MOVING (when observed close)?

If not, Pony-boy...

I’d say you’re golden.
Thank you! No mites so far!

Top Bottom