A little Fall clean-up

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks all, I am continuing to shorten and pull the No.1 branch further in toward the trunk. The tree is now in it's 48th yr of training. (Collected in 1972 and spent 15 years in the ground re growing the entire top from the main Sabamiki upward, branch turn up after branch turn up to attain some degree of ratio in the diameter and height. Again this is a nasty 'ole Virginnianna which should be 'burned' in some folks opinion. It produces mature well colored and tight foliage as a nicely root bound specimen.
Second photo shows a tad more on the No.1 which I have made a saw cut 1/3 of the way through from the top19Nov_Jpr_Virginianna_trim.jpg and pulled with wire. It will take another adjustment of the wire in about 6 months to gain a few more degrees of pull as this branch is 'too' heavy and I'd love to thin it but can not do at this time without potentially killing the branch.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you for your encouragement.
When the tree was collected back in ‘72 It spent a lot of years in the ground .My mission was really just to grow the new top (trunk) With somewhat of a proportional transition. Within a year or so I decided that a large Shari or sabamiki would look good.
I proceeded with some hand carving tools cautiously carving the main gouge.Over a few months knowing the tree was healthy I opened it to the full scale you see today. Note how you see the edge of the bark now forming a nice smooth rolled transition
The initial cut was done in early Summer, but my feeling is Junipers just don’t care as long as you are careful a just like reporting and anything else with them. Just don’t over do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom