A Little Issue (Root Rot)

Have you ever dealt with this bad of root rot (1/2 the root system) successfully?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

bubbly193

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a little issue. Someone threw a really bad condition bonsai at me. It was in a really loamy, waterlogged soil. After pruning only bad roots, it left only 1/2 of the original root system (including pruning roughly 1/2 the feeders) because of severe root rot. I have bonsai experience, but I've never dealt with this bad of root rot (I'm a sticker for good, drainable soil). Do you have any tips? Is there even any hope for it?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Water logging can often be dealt with by simply popping the root ball out of the pot and sitting it naked on a shelf until it is no longer water logged. Do this if it is not a good time for repotting.

Else, dip or immerse the roots in a solution of 2 tablespoons 3% hydrogen peroxide in one quart of water. This should knock down if not completely eliminate phytophthoria. Plant in a well draining substrate. Guy the tree to the pot so the roots will not be moved - don't rely on having wired the remaining roots into the pot to do the job.

Put the plant in a humidity tent to prevent desiccation until adequate roots have regrown which you will witness by the return of healthy vigor in the foliage.

Specific species may have additional requirements or require modification of these generic measures.

Last edited:

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Welcome.
Please update your profile so we can understand the climate/USDA zone you are in so we can better, more specifically guide you.

What type of tree is it?
Was it kept indoors or out?
Pictures of the tree and if you have them of the roots would greatly help.

Thanks

bubbly193

Seedling
Reaction score
ah, yes, good old background. It is indoors for the winter (USDA zone 7b in North America) and presumably been indoors. for a while. It is not the best species for bonsai, being a Stone Pine.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are stone pines Italian pines? Aren't those the types that come in the holiday wrapping pots sold during the Christmas season?
Stone_Pine_1.JPG

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bub, 0 gave you some good advice. The only thing I might add is covering with a large plastic freezer bag or whatever to keep humidity up while inside. Keep it cool if possible.

bubbly193

Seedling
Reaction score
Are stone pines Italian pines? Aren't those the types that come in the holiday wrapping pots sold during the Christmas season?
Stone_Pine_1.JPG
Sure are, unfortunately. I've got it in 50-50 mixed pebble(marble-slate-sandstone)-soil until I head to the store...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is not the best species for bonsai, being a Stone Pine.

You are incorrect - there are some real nice one's out there, honest. Also being indoors will save branch damage in the Winter from heavy snow and ice snapping them off.

Else, dip or immerse the roots in a solution of 2 tablespoons 3% hydrogen peroxide in one quart of water.

I have used that solution on Tropicals with good success when my Wife brings home 1/2 dead plants from her Office.

Grimmy

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are incorrect - there are some real nice one's out there, honest. Also being indoors will save branch damage in the Winter from heavy snow and ice snapping them off.

I have used that solution on Tropicals with good success when my Wife brings home 1/2 dead plants from her Office.

Grimmy
I actually have a coupled little italian stone pines but I only recently acquired them so they need a while before showing. Nevertheless I've found they take well to being treated as a sub tropical and can handle being bare rooted and root pruned hard ( I did this to one with no I'll effects, it's actually growing quicker then before)

Aaron

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nevertheless I've found they take well to being treated as a sub tropical and can handle being bare rooted and root pruned hard ( I did this to one with no I'll effects, it's actually growing quicker then before)

They are durable - I have been on the prowl for a few of those and plan on doing some radical bending for that reason. Another overlooked plant I will obtain is the Loblolly Pine for the same reason.

Grimmy

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are durable - I have been on the prowl for a few of those and plan on doing some radical bending for that reason. Another overlooked plant I will obtain is the Loblolly Pine for the same reason.

Grimmy
Grimmy, A heads up on loblolly (Taeda) they're on the brittle side like JRP

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I voted yes, but i don't have a clue, i guess it's possible if you still have 50% non rotted roots (except for conifers, i think they will die).

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy, A heads up on loblolly (Taeda) they're on the brittle side like JRP

Thank you, and now that you told me I will use gentler methods until I am used to them.;)

Grimmy

bubbly193

Seedling
Reaction score
I have it in 60-40 Diatomaceous Earth-Cactus Soil (fast drain) and have a ventilated bag for humidity, seems to be doing pretty well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bubbly!

Happy?
Or drunk when you signed up!?
Illegally drunk! Hope you're happy!

Either Way....Welcome to Crazy!

Lack of info only means excitement to me.
Though yeah, it sho helps!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just keeping this good info together.
___Sorce

So, after hearing about my recent work with a stone pine, someone thought "let's give him a real challenge," actually it was more like, "This tree looks like it could make a good starter," and they gave me a christmas decoration stone pine. The catch is, it was frosted and all the needles but two small branches are dead. Good news is, it's root are nearly intact (apart from a little issues with constriction killing some at the very bottom of the pot). I performed a very light root pruning, and removed the dead wood (~90 percent of Branches/Trunk/Foliage, I all but stumped it). Tree is in a dormant stage, as it is Winter where i'm at (Near Tulsa, OK, USDA zone 7B North America.) I may try to get pics of it. It's a mess now. I'm looking for any tips I can get on this. My experience is with heathy trees, not the two Stone Pines i got thrusted on me (Although, the tree with the bad root rot is growing very well now (THREAD). It's in 60-40 Diatomaceous Earth-Cactus Blend(I have succulents) fast drain soil. Same with this new tree. If it helps, the tree is very young, I know on some pines that makes a difference. Stone pines are prone to damage, so it would make sense for them to be resilient. Bottom line is, is there any hope? I hope so, it's looking good for a deadwood tree (looking at jin, shari and sabamiki) project if it survives.

Bubbles! Lol

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just keeping this good info together.
___Sorce

So, after hearing about my recent work with a stone pine, someone thought "let's give him a real challenge," actually it was more like, "This tree looks like it could make a good starter," and they gave me a christmas decoration stone pine. The catch is, it was frosted and all the needles but two small branches are dead. Good news is, it's root are nearly intact (apart from a little issues with constriction killing some at the very bottom of the pot). I performed a very light root pruning, and removed the dead wood (~90 percent of Branches/Trunk/Foliage, I all but stumped it). Tree is in a dormant stage, as it is Winter where i'm at (Near Tulsa, OK, USDA zone 7B North America.) I may try to get pics of it. It's a mess now. I'm looking for any tips I can get on this. My experience is with heathy trees, not the two Stone Pines i got thrusted on me (Although, the tree with the bad root rot is growing very well now (THREAD). It's in 60-40 Diatomaceous Earth-Cactus Blend(I have succulents) fast drain soil. Same with this new tree. If it helps, the tree is very young, I know on some pines that makes a difference. Stone pines are prone to damage, so it would make sense for them to be resilient. Bottom line is, is there any hope? I hope so, it's looking good for a deadwood tree (looking at jin, shari and sabamiki) project if it survives.

Bubbles! Lol
This one went from a 3gl to a 1gl terracotta with probably aound 90 percent root loss and it is showing growth. It's in my greenhouse but I keep it in a shady spot since I butchered the poor thing, all ready my experience with these things is BULLETPROOF.

Aaron

Attachments

• 20160101_090435.jpg
    20160101_090435.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 27

bubbly193

Seedling
Reaction score
This one went from a 3gl to a 1gl terracotta with probably aound 90 percent root loss and it is showing growth. It's in my greenhouse but I keep it in a shady spot since I butchered the poor thing, all ready my experience with these things is BULLETPROOF.

Aaron
Ahh, another Mulberry... Can you even kill a Mulberry (Morus Rubra)?

Top Bottom