A little video of me teaching repotting at Plant City Bonsai

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for sharing!
How long since previous repotting, if I may ask?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for sharing!
How long since previous repotting, if I may ask?
About 3 years ago I did a HBR repot. This video missed where I HBRed the part I pointed to at the end of the video. That was old field soil.

So, I then used bent nose tweezers and a root hook to tease out the mud. Then hosed it off.

Sorry, I was too busy to take pictures, but I'll post a pic of the potted tree later. I put it in an antique Chinese pot I bought for cheap at the Atlanta Bonsai Society auction a couple years ago. It has a kiln crack, so that accounts for the low value. But it still 150 years old with great patina, and makes that little tree look great!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The language barrier here... I cannot read the acronym...
Then hosed it off.
So, you use the hose with pines. Under specific circumstances perhaps? I know Italian guys use the hose to wash off original soil from the root of collected pines at their first repotting (after recovering). What do you think / what do you do?

I certainly would like very much to enjoy the tree potted.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The language barrier here... I cannot read the acronym...
So, you use the hose with pines. Under specific circumstances perhaps? I know Italian guys use the hose to wash off original soil from the root of collected pines at their first repotting (after recovering). What do you think / what do you do?

I certainly would like very much to enjoy the tree potted.
Sorry, HBR is short for "Half Bare Root" repot. Pines and conifers should not be completely bare rooted. A HBR starts with preparing the rootball the usual way, which is what was on the video. (At least part of it was - they didn't show how I scraped the bottom of the root ball, nor how I cut some heavy downward roots, nor how I dragged the bent tip tweezers from the trunk down across the top of the root ball which loosened all those long roots. They picked up where I trimmed the long roots off, and made sure the bottom was flat and smooth.)

So, that part of the rootball I pointed to at the end of the video was mud left from the field where it was grown. I teased out a lot of it, and rinsed just that part off with water, taking care not to disturb the other side. Thus, the "Half bare root" repot.

It is a technique invented by Boon.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hoping for more "Deep South" where your more subtle.:(:D:D:D:D I will continue to read your posts in my best "Foghorn Leghorn" voice, however.;):D:D:D:D:D

You should hear me and my accent. I startled MYSELF last night ordering dinner!:confused::D:D:D Around here, you can say the letter "a" in eight different ways!!:mad::mad::mad:

Margaritas are a great salve for being self-conscious, but not for your speech...

Back to the video. I admit the technique has me a bit intimidated, but seeing some of what you have done has me re-evaluating. Thanks for sharing it!!:cool:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very nice! The bark is so eloquent!
... ...By the way, after repotting, they go straight back out into the sun. Putting them in shade is a mistake. The sun warms the soil, which causes roots to grow.
Good to know!
Is this pumice & lava?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pumice, lava, and akadama.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shame the video want longer @Adair M would have been good to see from start to finish.... Maybe next time.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, I wasn't planning to do a video. I was doing a demonstration for the class. Then we went on an work on everyone's individual trees.

Sandy just started videoing, then posted it on their site: www.plantcitybonsai.com.

Yes, it would have been better to have the whole thing videoed. But then it would be long and boring!

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice root pad on that pine! How many years in training?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't get this....I was expecting to see a video on repotting. What exactly is the point of posting this video?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think I've had it 4 or five years.

The first couple years, I didn't repot it, I left it alone. I repotted it maybe 3 years ago.

I bought in in the winter from a guy who was field growing in Oklahoma. It was potted in an ordinary flower pot. I asked about the nebari. His reply was something to the effect: "I'm sure it has a nebari, but I can't tell. It's frozen solid".

I bought it anyway. So, it arrived in February, I think. It appeared to have decent nebari. The surface soil was weird, some kind of flat rocks about the size of dimes. Anyway, I set it out in the sun next to all my other pines.

It didn't grow. I mean absolutely no bud growth, no candle extension, nothing. It stayed green, but no growth whatsoever.

June, and July came, and I decandled all my other JBP. This tree was still green.

The other trees began putting out their second flush. And this tree started growing, too! I was amazed. I've never heard of a JBP doing anything like that. I suppose it was cold damage. So, I let it be.

The following spring it grew out like normal, so I decandled, etc. but I didn't do any root work. I think it was the next spring when I did the first half bare root repot. I did find a mess of dead black roots. Which I removed, obviously. So, it's been a couple or three years, so I did the other half bare root repot.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm sorry but I don't get this....I was expecting to see a video on repotting. What exactly is the point of posting this video?
Sorry, perhaps I should have said it was root pruning.

Top Bottom