a little video of some stuff

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is little video of my stuff along the fence. I have been potting trees for about 2 1/2 yrs so everything is still in development I guess.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You've been a busy fellow in those 2 1/2 years! Some nice trees. Many of the deciduous seem to need root (nebari) work, though.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
You, my friend, have a confirmed case of bonsaitus! Welcome to the afflicted!

Might be time to raise the bar in a positive way by developing a more critical eye.

Time is usually the limiting factor....More refined trees require proportionally more time:) too many trees and fewer get the time needed to get better. I'm not saying this is you, but you could be close:)

I have too many trees but more time than most....

I like your rock plantings! The stone is very interesting! Is it limestone?

Thanks for sharing
John

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Is it limestone?
Yes - my friend has several hundred tons on his property - i can get as much as i could ever want :)
And thanks and yes all of the trees need work but im learning and practicing and wiring etc... as much as possible. Hopefully I'll get better and the trees will too :)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Yes - my friend has several hundred tons on his property - i can get as much as i could ever want :)
And thanks and yes all of the trees need work but im learning and practicing and wiring etc... as much as possible. Hopefully I'll get better and the trees will too :)
For 2.5 years they look pretty good...and they will get better with time!

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Everything looks great! Thanks for posting. I'm just starting out, so its good someone with success after a few years.

johng

Omono
Reaction score

About the stones...you're a lucky dog!
has anyone in your area kept trees on them for more than a couple years? Limestone can effect the ph level of the soil...might not be a big deal...especially for some species...but could be for others. I hope you have success!
A great stone is better than a great pot any day in my book! And they are certainly more rare.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't physically know a single person that does anything like this, bonsai trees or rock plantings etc. so I have no idea what will happen. One has been planted since last spring and it is doing ok. I'm a one man show haha just me looking at pictures on the internet :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Some of your Junipers are actually pretty good. You need to spend some time with the better trees developing them up a point or two. If you don't have an idea what to do find help, qualified help.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most limestone has a PH level of 9 which is pretty high, for example azaleas prefer 4-5 PH level which is considered slightly acidic so limestone even the stuff in hard water affects them negatively as well as Bouganvillea and many species of Juniper and I seem to remember Spruce is another that is affected. What it does is cause a chlorosis caused by lime, weak foliage that yellows or has yellow spots or veins in it depending again on the species. The cause is the lime robbing the plants of iron.

ed

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Some nice material.
If I may offer advice, you need some wiring instruction. Quite frankly your wiring is pretty bad.:eek:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
He has only been doing this for two and a half years maybe he should be cut a little slack? At least he had the courage to post some pictures and videos of his efforts.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
He has only been doing this for two and a half years maybe he should be cut a little slack? At least he had the courage to post some pictures and videos of his efforts.
I applaud that, and I think he's doing great. I was trying to offer positive input to help him improve. I guess it came out wrong. Wiring is one of the most important skill in creating good bonsai. I apologize if I hurt feelings.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Didn't mean to make it seem I was biting you head off, I understand. Wiring is difficult issue.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cool video, thanks for sharing. I really like your tables too, simple and attractive. I'm going to be building some new ones shortly, and being able to move them around is key - I'll keep yours in mind.

Kind of hard for me to tell, is it all 2x4 (besides the top), or are the legs 4x4s?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I applaud that, and I think he's doing great. I was trying to offer positive input to help him improve. I guess it came out wrong. Wiring is one of the most important skill in creating good bonsai. I apologize if I hurt feelings.
Thanks both - I really am just starting but really taking things Vance and Smoke preach - Vance says get your stuff viewed and get criticism and Smoke says he has a workshop by himself everyday in the backyard. Im trying to do both of those things to attempt to try and practice things I see and read. I will try to keep plugging away and as I am now getting a few things going somewhat decent (maybe lol) I will get some single shots and start to get some real advice.
Again thanks for any comment really ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
  • There are a couple of those junipers that a little wire and trimming you could have a pretty nice bonsai on the way. I am going to go through you video again and see if I can pick out the fame numbers for you. I will follow up latter today, havr a doctor's appointment to make.

Last edited:

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Quite frankly your wiring is pretty bad.:eek:
So here are some interior wiring pictures - I didnt realize it was garbage - it seemed to look decent compared to wiring I've seen on blogs and such. I mean I realize that I cross a wire or two now and then and I may not use exactly the right size etc. What should I be doing different here? Is it the physical wiring or the styling that you find so bad?

View media item 1022View media item 1021View media item 1020

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
A few suggestions:

1. Wire size - Aluminum wire should be at least 1/2 the diameter of the branch being wired for optimum hold and bending force. Copper should be 1/3 to 1/2 the branch diameter.
2. Angle of wrap - your wraps are at too acute an angle. Some wraps are almost 90 degrees across the trunk. You'll get better results stretching out the angle a little more.
3. When using more than one wire on a branch try to lay the wires right next each other.
4. Wires are not anchored properly. All wires must be firmly anchored to another branch, wire, etc.
5. Some of your wires are doing nothing, just wrapped around straight branches. Only apply wire where it is needed.
6. Wire all the way to the end of branches with the last turn cupping the branch tip to turn it slightly upward.

Again, I wasn't trying to sound mean, only trying to help make better bonsai. Wiring is something that comes with lots and lots of practice. I think Smoke said somewhere to buy a few rolls of aluminum and practice wiring all day until you run out of wire. -Then take it all off and do it again a few times.

Paul

Top Bottom